Chili

Started by GrillinFool, November 01, 2005, 01:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrillinFool

Ok guys I need some help with this one. I have been invited to a chili contest and asked to bring chili to enter in this contest. I have never made chili before actually. I wouldnt mind winning this so I am looking for either a great chili recipe or even just some insight on what you all think makes a great chili. Any input is welcome here. Like would you use burnt ends or smoked meats in the chili? should it be really hot or not? beef only? what are your thoughts?

thanks in advance!

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

first are there any rules? one thing i know is you dont want it to be super hot[}:)] and you dont want it to be to weak , just enough to have a bite maybe a sting, the reason i asked about the rules is i have and posted a awsome WHITE CHILI,  http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45

BigSmoker

I'm from Georgia where they put beans in the chili.  If you are close to Texas then no beans.  LOL.  Anyway add a little cocoa powder to the sauce and I always use fresh chili powder if I can get it[;)].  I also like mexican chorizo sausage in my chili.  I have also used smoked chopped tri-tip and/or brisket in my chili as well.  Have fun and good luck[:D].

P.S.  the white chili is awesome.  I've tried it[:p][:p]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

GF,

Since you're in FL, I'm guessing beans are OK. I like my chili with beans as opposed to meat only Texas-style. They should compliment & cool the heat, not be filler. Sour cream & fresh-shredded cheddar will also compliment the taste.

If it doesn't make you sweat, it ain't chili! BTW, most all of my chili's I've made use leftover smoked meat parts. It truly does add that "something extra".

Sorry I can't pass along a tried & true recipe, as they have always been just pulled out of my butt as I'm doing them. Chili seems to me to be the "what can we make of leftovers" meal so it comes out different every time. But do it a few times & you'll know it's gonna come out good.[:p]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

GrillinFool

The white chicken Chili of Rob's is excellent, and quite a departure from the routine chili.  

Chez,

Pulled out of your butt?  Remind me not to sample your chili![:D][:D]

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

manxman

I always use minced beef steak, chopped tomatoes (tinned or fresh) and kidney beans, other than that it is whatever I have to hand. As well as adding some finely chopped onion I often add chopped celery or other vegetables.

Other ingredients may include some worcestershire sauce, soy sauce or whatever else takes my fancy.... and I never make quite the same chilli twice! For this dish it is all part of the fun to me......

A good quality chilli powder is essential.

For a good chilli, it has got to be a bit of a "botty burner" or should that be "butt burner" for you guys in the US.

My favourite topping is some grated smoked mature cheddar cheese.

I would experiment a bit beforehand and test them on family and friends making notes as you go along then on the big day have the favourite recipe to hand!

Manxman.
Manxman

GrillinFool

Great feedback guys. I never knew there was the beanless chili until recently. I am originally from new england and all the chili i ate had beans. Or so I thought. I like the idea of the white chili because it might be nice and different from the rest. Personally I do not like it all that hot, but I have read alot about the heat being important and I have plenty of good ways to heat up anything. I also recently bought some chili powder from an indian spice market that is too hot for my rubs and that might be good for this one.

Spending the first 30 winters of my life living in New England and skiing in New Hampshire all I know is chili warms you up and is always for sale in the snack bar when you cant feel your feet any more. Who knows what chili is supossed to be like in florida any way?

I am leaning toward brisket burnt ends in a beanless chili. I guess I will have to test that this weekend.

Cold Smoke

I've heard that if you're in a Texas chili cookin' contest "You don't know beans about making chili- if you're puttin beans in your chili!" !!Apparantly, Beans DON'T belong in chili in Texas....Go easy on the heat and enjoy a good brew- Good luck!

Cold Smoke

twolone

Just read this post....how did the chili turn out?

It is true that we are chili purists in Texas, but that may indeed be a semantical hair-splitter. Chili is chili, it does not have beans. If you put beans in chili then it is "Chili with beans." I personally like both with or without, but only eat chili with beans when outside of Texas. Putting beans in chili in Texas is a hanging offense.

I have tasted some northeastern attempts at chili. I think Texas chili might kill some of y'all. :)

But email me for a killer recipe!

Ryan

Longhorns & Cowboys. BBQ of Champions.

manxman

Hi twolone,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But email me for a killer recipe!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have emailed you for the recipe as suggested but why not post the recipe here, unless of course it is a state secret!?[;)]

Lot of folks seem to love chili and a true texan example would be very popular methinks.

Manxman.
Manxman

Bassman

Yes Twolone,
I for one would like the recipe.[:)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

twolone

OK...Here it is...I had to adjust it for "civilian" use.         
TEXAS COMPETITION CHILI RECIPE

Some people call this "3-Dump Chili" but I find that vulgar and refuse to do it. This is "Competition Chili" and will be fantastically strong to most people.

Step 1                  

2# Chili-Grind Beef (75/25 or 80/20) usually Chuck      
1 Tbsp   Bacon Fat      

Brown meat in fat. Do not drain.         

Step 2                  

1 14oz   Swanson's Beef Broth               
1 14 oz   Swanson's Chicken Broth               
1 8 oz   Hunts Tomato Sauce               
1 tsp   Tabasco Sauce      

Add to meat, keeping at simmer.         

Step 3         

DUMP # 1         
2 Tbsp   Chili Powder      
1 tsp   Kosher Salt      
1 tsp   Onion Powder      
1 tsp   Garlic Powder      
1/2 tsp   Black Pepper      
1/2 tsp   Cayenne Pepper      

Add DUMP # 1.
Simmer med-low, covered, for 1 Hour.

Step 4         

DUMP # 2         
1 Tbsp   Chili Powder      
1 Tbsp   Paprika      
1/2 tsp   Onion Powder      
1/2 tsp   Garlic Powder      
1/2 tsp   Mexican Oregano      
1/2 tsp   Jalapeño Powder      
1/2 tsp   Black Pepper
1/2 tsp   White Pepper      

Add DUMP #2
Simmer, partially covered (1/2" cracked), for 45 min.

Step 5         

1 Med Jalapeño   Remove stem, slice lengthwise, and remove seeds

DUMP # 3         
1 Tbsp   Chili Powder
1 tsp   Kosher Salt      
1 tsp   Cumin
1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1/2 tsp   Dark Brown Sugar

Use several pieces of white bread to soak up some of the pools of fat that accumulate on the surface.

Add DUMP # 3. Add Jalapeno. Simmer, partially covered (1/2" cracked), for 30 min or until reduced to chili-consistency with a smooth, slightly thickened, velvety red gravy. Remove Jalapeño before serving. Use white bread to soak up some of the last pools of fat that have accumulated on the surface. Be sure to leave a little fat, though!

Want to reduce the heat? If you are not sure then you probably should. Don't put in the Jalapeño Powder and only add Tabasco to taste at the end. If you think that is still too hot then lose the cayenne and the whole Jalapeño. After that you can cut back on some White and Black Pepper and some Chili Powder.

Most Chili powders you buy from the store are made with some chili powder and a lot of tasteless paprika. Buy chili powder that is pure or a known blend...GEBHARDT'S is the one most Texas competition chili cooks use. A great place for pure powders and spices is http://www.mildbills.com

I will post a more consumer friendly, "Homestyle" chili recipe in a couple of days.

-Ryan

Longhorns & Cowboys. BBQ of Champions.

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">TEXAS COMPETITION CHILI RECIPE<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Blimey twolone, that sounds awesome and not a little scary! And i like to think I like a hotn'spicy chili..... mmmm.... perhaps I am a wimp at heart!!

Maybe the "homestyle" will be more appropriate but I plan to give it a go all the same! [}:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

nsxbill

twolone,

Thanks for posting this up.  I will load it up onto Olds Website if he doesn't beat me to it.  

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

boxertrio

Sound perefect for the boys at work...can't wait to make it Monday!

Thanks-a-bunch

Glenn

White smoke good...Black smoke bad!!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC