That was fun

Started by Tiny Tim, July 25, 2007, 06:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

I just got home from a parade we, the local Volunteer Fire Department, held for a fellow member of the department who has been over in the sandbox for the past year and a half or so, and returned home tonight.  He is also a Deputy with the County Sheriff's department, so they had a bunch of his fellow co-workers in 5 patrol cars in the parade.  Once at his house, the acting Sheriff (elected Sheriff is on deployment with another unit) gave him back the keys to his car.

I can't walk very far anymore, without something to lean on, so it is rare that I get out of my pickup on calls (my job is mainly accountability and filing of reports anyway), but it was an honor to get out and walk the half block to shake his hand, welcome him home, and thank him for his service.

Almost busted out cryin' when his brother (also a member of our department) got the chance to hug him.  Very touching moment.

I wish the crowd lining the street would have been larger, but it wasn't bad for a small town and very little advance notice.

Oldman

Great story... thanks for sharing.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Nice story. Makes me realize that I need to put in a greater effort in letting our troops know we appreciate what they are doing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

begolf25

Great story TT. Every single soldier should have that type of homecoming.

HCT

TT, glad you were a part of it.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

iceman

Thanks for sharing TT. I try to make a point of greeting the para troopers that Ann and I sponsor at the airport each time one comes in. Makes them really feel great ( and us too) to let them know we care. We get a lot of wonderful feed back from the troops when we send the care packages over to them. They love letters and such telling them what's going on back home. Everyone should take the time to at least send an e-mail or letter to someone over there. :)

Wildcat

Real nice.  With politics going the way it is, I pray that our future soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines will never have to experience what we Vietnam Vets did upon arrival back home.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Thats great Tim. Wish more of our heros could get that.

nepas

Father of

82ND Airborne 254 PID

82ND AirBorne Special Forces