Butts in the Shower

Started by Ka Honu, June 05, 2012, 10:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 06, 2012, 01:20:17 PM
That a lot of butt. You got a good price, but I'm still trying to figure out why you had to pay tax on fresh meat?  :)

We have to here as well.  1%.    If it is cooked - 8%.   >:(

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 06, 2012, 01:22:20 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 06, 2012, 01:20:17 PM
That a lot of butt. You got a good price, but I'm still trying to figure out why you had to pay tax on fresh meat?  :)

We have to here as well.  1%.    If it is cooked - 8%.   >:(

I guess I will have to stop complaining about most of the taxes in NY. No tax on fresh meat, and taxed on certain cooked and processed food that are considered groceries.

Ka Honu,

I forgot to mention, that is a huge task you are undertaking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ka Honu

We're baaaack!  Nine hours in the crockpots for the smaller ones and they were falling apart.  No photos because they actually did fall apart when I was testing them and I didn't see the point of taking a picture at that juncture.  I poured off and defatted the drippings (4 cups fat, 4 cups "juice") and added some apple juice to moisten the oven butts in FTC and mix in when pulling.

The two in the oven took a bit longer and were ready for FTC after 12 hours.  Both falling apart done at the same time - how 'bout that?

Had another few cups each of fat and drippings in the pan.  After FTC, I mixed, pulled and packaged (after a taste or two for quality control - great stuff). 

For the record, the net weight of product was 25.5  pounds plus a quart of "extra" drippings to use for soups, sauces or other stuff later.  Came out to (with all the ancillary expenses) well under $4 a pound with a 65% yield (I expected a lower yield - must have been that "Supreme Trim" they advertised on the package).

We pay taxes on most everything here.  I bought this in the military commissary (5% surcharge instead of 5% state tax) but would still have gotten it for under $2 if I'd gone to Costco.

My work here is done. Better go clean up the mess in the kitchen before SWMBO gets home and sees it and and slaps me into the next county (which is 35 miles away across a pretty rough channel between the islands).

OldHickory

Looks real good .  There is going to be some good fun at that shower.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Keymaster

Nice job!! Yah ever play pin da tale on da Poke butt bradda ;D

SiFumar

Looks great...they sure will appreciate your hard work!

FLBentRider

That is some great looking Poke!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SouthernSmoked

Awesome looking butts!

Poke anyone? Sweet!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

watchdog56

Pachanga

Well done thought out, well prepared, well smoked - KH.

The 7 Ps are always applicable.

Now it's time for a little turtle snorkeling on a shallow reef, after which several cheap beers should be enjoyed.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

PS How was that bread? or was she just working you?

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 06, 2012, 03:10:04 PM
My work here is done. Better go clean up the mess in the kitchen before SWMBO gets home and sees it and and slaps me into the next county (which is 35 miles away across a pretty rough channel between the islands).
[/b][/color]

Must be a little woman Ka Honu. Mine always threatens to slap me so hard. I will wake up in the middle of next week!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kahunas

Mighty fine looking pile O meat. Happiness is a table full of burnt dead bodies (stolen phrase from my vegetarian friend) perfectly smoked pig parts.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

beefmann