Peperone

Started by NePaSmoKer, May 01, 2012, 10:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Recipe is from Charcuterie book pg 146. After fermentation i will be doing a mild cold smoker before temp/humidity hang.

No i'm not getting out of the smoking/sausage making. Just need to re group on my ways.

My hog casing being soaked.

BBL

NePaSmoKer

Here is the basic ingredients. Water and f-rm-52 not shown cuz i gotta go uptown quick.

Dpm
dextrose
kosher
smoked cayenne
smoked paprika
ground fennel
allspice
cure #2
dry red wine
1/4 tsp f-rm-52 dissolved in 1/4 cup distilled water.

Stuffed and ready for fermentation.

Going to hang for 12 hours at 85*

mikecorn.1

Looking good Sir!!!
Mike

slowpoke

And they told me,It aint rocket science.Ya Right LOL Lookin Good.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

Keymaster

I think I have decided this will be my next dry cure project too Rick, Probably this weekend.. Yours look really good, I don't think I like those protein lined casings, whats your opinion? "Uptown" thats so 80's ;)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Keymaster on May 01, 2012, 04:49:06 PM
I think I have decided this will be my next dry cure project too Rick, Probably this weekend.. Yours look really good, I don't think I like those protein lined casings, whats your opinion? "Uptown" thats so 80's ;)

Yep i dont like the protein lined casings either. would rather use beef middles.

uptown or over yonder  :o

ghost9mm

Nice work Rick, as always...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

NePaSmoKer

Thanks

Time for temp and humidity now.

Caribou

This should be interesting. :)
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Day 2 in the fridge. Going to give the Lonzino a very mild cold smoke tomorrow.

NePaSmoKer

Keymaster

Lookin really good, I have the 19th thru the 28th off and plan on fillin my dry cure cabinet with several different meat treats.

Caribou

It's already lookin good Nepas :)
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Getting closer now. Prob done sunday/monday.

sjmcdowall

Since I'm a newbie I feel I'm allowed to ask a few question (especially since Peperone is near the top of the list of dry-cured sausages I want to make).

Looking at the original recipe in the book -- I'm a bit confused ...

1 -- I assume DMP is a standard abbreviation for Dry Milk Powder ...

2 -- It appears you are using only 1/4 TSP of B F-RM-52 but the recipe calls for 1/4 cup?  Typo or ??

3 -- Is that all beef? Which cut?

4 -- Did I miss the cold smoke step?  Do you have details of how you did the cold smoke? Wood/time/etc?

5 -- What's your address and when will you be out of town so a moving van coming by to "borrow" your curing fridge won't be noticed?  :)

Actually, do you have details on your curing / fermenting setup somewhere? It looks very clean and sweet ...

Cheers!!