Dried Snack Sticks

Started by Mr Walleye, March 01, 2008, 11:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drano

Mike,
Those look great!
I made a batch of beef sticks a few years ago with a packaged mix.  They tasted great.
But stuffing the small callagen casings with the Cabelas small steel stuffing tube was, well, less than easy. 
I don't know if I didn't add enough water to the mix, or what.  But shoving the mix into the steep tapering tube took a LOT of force. 
If I do this again, I'll buy some bigger casings, and a slighly larger stainless stuffing tube.

Are your casings natural or callagen?  What size?
Which stuffing tube did you use?

Thanks
drano

Mr Walleye

Drano

I used collagen 22 mm casings on the smallest tube that came with my 11 lb Cabelas stuffer. The recipe I used didn't call for any water to be added and it was a workout to crank that baby, especially when I did it by myself. I did order the electric motor attachment for my stuffer from Weston Supply. It should be here any day now. They sell rebuilt ones for about half price. It comes with a foot control which should be handy when working alone.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

bullhead

Mike
With the electric motor you'll have to run it at the lowest speed setting there is, other wise you'll have alot of blow outs on the small casings. Another note keep your stuffing tube lubercated, I use some fat from the blend, or food grade spray, plus I will use water that my natural casings are soaking in. I mix my seasonings in at least a cup of ice water every time then pour over the meat, that seems to get a more evenly blend of the seasonings.
Just my 2 cents worth,
David

Arcs_n_Sparks

I imagine Mr. Walleye is already designing a foot-pedal motor speed control.....

Arcs_n_Sparks

huhwhatliar

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 23, 2008, 12:09:05 PM
Drano

I did order the electric motor attachment for my stuffer from Weston Supply. It should be here any day now. They sell rebuilt ones for about half price. It comes with a foot control which should be handy when working alone.

Mike

Mike do you have the link for the motor, I would like to order one for my 30lb.

Thanks
Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

drano

Domenick,
Here's the link to the company.  I don't see the stuffer motor there, but it was listed a couple months ago. 
http://www.westonsupply.com/Default.aspx
I'd suggest giving them a call and see if they have any.  Since they are reconditioned, their stock may run out from time to time.
I've thought about getting one of these, but I make brauts w/ callagen casing, and twist them as I stuff them by backing off the handle to stop feeding, twist a braut, then stuff the next link.  Not sure I could do that w/ a motor since I back the handle off to stop the feed.  If I just stop the handle, the mix keeps oozing out for a bit.  And I store the stuffer in its original box, and the motor wouldn't fit, so I'll keep cranking for now. 

Mike
Thanks for the info.  Yea, my arm was about gone when I got done stuffing 1/2 batch of sticks thru the small tube.  I don't know how strong the gear teeth are.  I'd hate to strip them off with the motor.  But your stuffer is new, so hopefully Cabelas would replace it if you broke it. 

Drano

Mr Walleye

Quote from: huhwhatliar on March 23, 2008, 02:17:34 PM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 23, 2008, 12:09:05 PM
Drano

I did order the electric motor attachment for my stuffer from Weston Supply. It should be here any day now. They sell rebuilt ones for about half price. It comes with a foot control which should be handy when working alone.

Mike

Mike do you have the link for the motor, I would like to order one for my 30lb.

Thanks
Domenick

Dominick

Drano has it pegged. Western Supply used to have them listed on the web site but they don't any more. All I did was call them and they had them in stock.

Arcs

They come with a foot pedal and speed control.....

Mike

huhwhatliar

Drano and Mike thanks for the information I'll give them a call today.

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 23, 2008, 10:50:39 PM
Arcs

They come with a foot pedal and speed control.....

Mike

Dang, I thought you were going to invent something....

Mr Walleye

Arcs

I was thinking "sewing machine"!  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

West Coast Kansan

I think you can put a fan on those mike. not sure if cw or ccw is best  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on March 24, 2008, 03:50:11 PM
I think you can put a fan on those mike. not sure if cw or ccw is best  ;)

:D  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

yul

:) Hi Mike, great looking fishing snacks you have there.  ;)
I buy something very similar to those babies when I go fishing in the evenings around here. We were on the verge of getting skunked one night when in desperation I put a long sliver of the sausage on a small jighead. Bingo, the fish went crazy.  ;D  ;D
Brian. Montreal.

Mr Walleye

Yul

Ya just never know what will turn them on!  :D

I'll have to make more.... They're all gone!  :D

Mike