Pepper sticks- part deux

Started by GusRobin, August 02, 2014, 03:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

About a week ago I made some pepper sticks. It was getting late so I decided to take them out of the smoker and finish them in a hot bath. Good plan except I forgot the fact that I used collagen casings. The last time I tried a hot bath finish with collagen casings, water got in and the final results weren't very good. Surprise- same results this time. That's what I get for starting late in the day. So I threw them away and started again.

So this time I mixed the meat and seasonings on Thursday night,and put in the fridge.

Here is the mixed meat.

After work on Friday I stuffed the sticks and put them back in the fridge. This morning I got up early and put them in Bradley.

Rain was in the forecast so I closed them up in the Bradley House.

After about 7 hrs they reached an IT of 155*

Then into the ice bath.

Hanging around for a while to bloom.

Cut a piece for quality control check.

Trimmed off the ends and ready to go into a paper bag and to spend the night in the fridge, will vac seal and freeze tomorrow.

These turned out great.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

WoodlawnSmoker

They look fantastic.  And I really like your Bradley House, awesome.

cobra6223

watchdog56

renoman

Hey GusRobin, that is interesting about collagen casings and not putting them in a water bath. I was not aware that you could not do that and luckily have never tried. Is that the final word on that or are there other opinions?

GusRobin

I am far from the final word on anything. I just know that I am 0 for 2 so that is enough trial and error for me. I have successfully done baths with natural and cellulose casings but not collagen.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Saber 4

This batch looks like a real winner for sure.

iceman

Great job GusRobin.
What spice mix and meat did you use if you don't mind me asking.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: GusRobin on August 07, 2014, 04:41:02 PM
I am far from the final word on anything. I just know that I am 0 for 2 so that is enough trial and error for me. I have successfully done baths with natural and cellulose casings but not collagen.

Gus I have found with Collagen casings that you can't put them into a waterbath until after they reach an IT of 135. The proteins in the casings and the meat bond around that temp. Then the casings won't separate from the meat.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pikeman_95

Chris that is a good bit of information. It should take very little to get them over that temperature.
kc