Gold prospecting...

Started by rdevous, November 04, 2009, 08:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdevous

I was wondering if anyone here went gold prospecting....when you are not smoking a fattie or a butt....of course?   ::)

Are you a member of the GPAA or LDMA?

If you prospect...what method of recovery do you use?  I have a Trinity gold pan.  I love watching the gold prospecting shows on the Outdoor Channel.  I drool looking at the Keene dredges and sluice boxes in their catalog......Secret Santa are you listening???   ;D ::) ;D

Wish I lived on the Alaskan coast.

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

ArnieM

I go gold prospecting in the safe. 

I could barely get the safe up the stairs when we got it.  Now I can't move it at all; my wife has it filled. 

I was thinking of putting a couple of pounds in the OBS for heat retention ...
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

I go prospecting for "Gold Diggers", just getting too old to catch them anymore.

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 04, 2009, 10:48:40 AM
I go prospecting for "Gold Diggers", just getting too old to catch them anymore.

You're not too old.  Just not rich enough for them to take the bait.  ;D
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ArnieM on November 04, 2009, 10:53:22 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 04, 2009, 10:48:40 AM

You're not too old.  Just not rich enough for them to take the bait.  ;D

True, broker than your OBS. ;D

Roadking

I've watched most of the shows, pretty cool. Never got into it wife would kill me.
You tell me if she would kill me, things I'm into as of now:
1. golf
2. Bow hunt locally
3. Riding my Harley (Roadking) most of the time
4. Hunting trips out west
5. Radio Control airplanes powered by gas 50cc - 150cc engines
6. Once in a while about ever 4-5 years fishing trips to Canada.

classicrockgriller

RK, what is your handicap? Mine is picking up the clubs. Use to be a 5, now probably a 10. Back not as limber as it use to be.

One of the boys that works for me lives out by the remote airport and said a man came out the other day and had been working on a plane for two years and was doing its maiden voyage. Like a 12 or 15 foot wing span. The plane went up and he flew it around and then it had a mind of it own. the controls wouldn't control it anymore and they watch it fly off. Never did see it crash, just flew off.

Roadking

Haven't played golf in about a year. Hip gives me a problem. A average game for me was around 104, once in a while I'd break 100 maybe once or twice a year and I count every stroke. No mulligans allowed or moving the ball for a better lye.

Oh yeah, used to shoot Ipsc with my race guns. Four matches a month which consisted of 190 to 230 rounds per match and 2000 rounds of practice each month. Stopped that also because of the hip.

Plane locks up like that it's usually the batteries went dead and it goes into what they call "Fail Safe". I turn that off and all of my radios.

ArnieM

Quote from: Roadking on November 04, 2009, 12:27:19 PM

1. golf
When I was a kid, the guy next door built a putting green in his backyard.  He worked for Sikorsky aircraft and had bunches of golfing trophies.  I played on his green and beat him and his kid.  They weren't very happy.  That was it for my golf.
2. Bow hunt locally
Nope.  I have a 'teen' compound I occasionally shoot at squirrels with.
I drove an old BMW around a lawn once or twice when I was a teen.  Now I go for A/C, heated seats and cruise control.
4. Hunting trips out west
Nope.  Did upland game here in Connecticut when I was younger.
Now that's fun.  I built one once, a top wing, probably a trainer that could fly itself.
I get my fish at the market.  It's cheaper.  But, no farm raised stuff!

-- Arnie

Habanero Smoker

rdevous,

Thanks for posting this, it got me interested. I did a search and there are several areas in New York that one can go gold prospecting. I may check this hobby out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

car54

Roadking,
Do you have any pictures of your planes. When my grandson started go kart racing, his angine was 50cc's. Those must be some big planes.

Brad

Hopefull Romantic

This may night be "gold prospecting" as you know it but happened to couple of friends of mine some 20 years ago.
A very old Turkish gentleman who was a soldier in the Ottoman army came to Jordan and got together with the sons of his old Jordanian friends. He told them about a map he has showing the place where they have buried two big boxes of gold in the desert when the ottomans were retrieving against the alleys attacks. As all the signs have changed, they were able to located the exact place 3 months later, and started digging into the late night and decided to continue in the morning. They had a couple of tents not too far from the site. During their sleep, it started raining and part of the dogged area caved in revealing the gold. When they woke up, they found that the boxes were emptied by what they suspected was a goat Herder that beat them to it while they were sleeping.

A true story.
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Caneyscud

Thrice - kinda

First 40 years ago at some Indian Reservation in New Mexico - rather touristy.  They were also selling totem poles as Plains Indian souvenirs.
Next was at this touristy place in Ketchikan I believe - But it might have been elsewhere - my memory is foggy as was the weather!
Lastly - Went whitewater rafting somewhere near Seward - the river filled my pockets with silt, found just as much gold then as at the tourist places - zilch!

1. golf
Now why would someone go off and play that maddening game!  Besides you can't go harvest something, drag it back home and smoke it.  Well legally!
2. Bow hunt locally
Gave that up - too many people (most not supposed to be there) on too few acres around here!
Not allowed - the chain connected to the ring through my nose (the other end is connected to my wife's hand) isn't long enough to reach any of the Harley dealers in the area!
4. Hunting Fishing trips out west
Fixed that for ya!  Gotta love those rivers in Montana, New Mexico and Wyoming!
I'm a wimp.  After splashing some model airplane fuel into my eyes - I went electric.  But haven't flown in years.  Only have a crashed plane and one to be built plane left.  Would love to fly one of those jets with the model turbines in it though!  Probably wouldn't enjoy it worry about the cost of a crash!  
On the list to do - my best buddy and I were talking about that over lunch the other day.  He had just gotten back from a pheasant hunt in S. Dakota.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Roadking

Quote from: car54 on November 05, 2009, 02:34:59 AM
Roadking,
Do you have any pictures of your planes. When my grandson stated go kart racing, his angine was 50cc's. Those must be some big planes.

Brad

Wow took me a while to dig up some of the photos.

These two photos are of a planes I scratch built fron a kit called "Mojo" the bottom of the wing is the American flag took 3 days to do counting designing it. I use this plane to practice my stunts.

http://www.thebrunofamilysite.com/docs/images/mj9.JPG

http://www.thebrunofamilysite.com/docs/images/mj7.JPG

The next plane is a "Extra 260" it is 27% of the size of the real plane. This plane has a 50cc gas engine and smoke system. Last photo is a pic of a 50cc engine thats in a Katana that I'm working on.

http://www.thebrunofamilysite.com/docs/images/Extra260 a.jpg

http://www.thebrunofamilysite.com/docs/images/Extra260 003.jpg

http://www.thebrunofamilysite.com/docs/images/29_katana4.jpg

Roadking

Quote from: Caneyscud on November 05, 2009, 06:38:05 AM

1. golf
Now why would someone go off and play that maddening game!  Besides you can't go harvest something, drag it back home and smoke it.  Well legally!

That's what you thing. Bagged a Canada goose so far. One head shot went right down.