Smoke Shack

Started by TheDude, March 23, 2005, 09:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDude

While reading the various posts on this forum, I've come across several pictures of the various members smokers. I noticed that most people appear to keep their smokers indoors. I thought I would share my version of an outdoor smoke shack with everyone. Here are a couple pictures:

The shack is 40" wide by 20" deep so I can remove the smoke generator if i need to without removing the smoker. You can't see it from the pictures, but I left a 2 inch gap above the door to left the smoke and heat out and left a 8 inch over-hang on the roof to keep the elements out. Here's a look at the inside:

I installed a light at the top for night smoking. It has a seperate switch so I can use it independantly of the smoker. I found that there was no where to put my bowl or plate so I added a small shelf on a keyboard tray to fix the problem:

So far the shack makes smoking a dream. It stands about 7 feet tall so I don't have to bend over all the time. There is ample storage in the bottom shelf and it is relatively slim profile so it stays out of the way.

I've somked everything I can get my hands on for the last 4 months. I've used the smoker when it was -30C (my American Friends will have to figure that out in F yourselves; I only deal in common sense units) and had no problem maintaining an internal temperature of 225 F (okay, so I use your crazy Fahrenheit system sometimes too). The other day I made beef jerky and had to bring the temperature controller to more than half way just to get an internal temp of 135 F. I don't understand you Southroners complaining about not being able to cold smoke with a Bradley. (If you look carefully at the side-view picture you can see the handle of my lawnmower peaking out above the snow.)

Just because I can, here are the wings and ribs I made last weekend.

Smoke one for me,

The Dude

simmy

Dude,

The ribs and wings look pretty tasty. [:p][:p][:p] Nice looking cabinet too.

Steve

Habanero Smoker

Nice setup; and the food looks great!

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JJC

Welcome Eric!  Smoker setup and food look yummy [:p]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

jaeger

Welcome Eric!
Looks like a nice set up, a true smokehouse!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Chez Bubba

Eric,

Welcome, and as I've said before, Canadian ingenuity cannot be outdone![8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

oguard

Welcome Eric nice to see another canuck and your ability to deal with the elements[:D].The shack looks good[:)].
<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Cold Smoke

Hey Smokin' Dude and fellow Canuck- Your setup is sweet! Just what I need to think about putting together this spring- And yes, I believe spring is finally on it's way...[8D][8D]

I've not yet tried wings in the BS -but most definately on my radar. What goes together better than a Blue and wings?!! Maybe, many Blue and wings![;)][:D]

Stay cool!

Cold Smoke

MallardWacker

MAN, I want sum of dat....

Looks great...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Harpo

That looks awsome.Leving tonight for Conn from Pa, be back on Monday going to cook some of that when I get home. Wish it was Monday already.
Harpo

Bassman

Hey Dude,
How about some details on those wings, were they moist inside?

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Oldman

Greetings, and welcome to this place. Hope to hear more from you about your great smoking adventures.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ChefBill

I'm with Bassman. Those "Wangs" look great. I want the particulars on them too. [:p] I got 20#s of wings in the freezer and want to smoke them and then vacuum seal them in one meal packs for the freezer <u><i>(That should be about 4 Packs[:D])</i></u> 3 Beers and 5#s of wings sounds about right for me.

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

TheDude

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

The wings are actually prepared using the recipe on one of the Bradley Hickory Collector cards. You can get all the particulars here: http://www.bradleysmoker.com/recipes/collector/chicken/hc005.htm.
Personally I find this particular recipe far too spicy so I really cut back on the cayenne pepper and I'm not a big fan of sauces so while I made the sauce, I used it as a dipping sauce and didn't coat all the wings in it (I'm a firm believer that a sauces should only be used to mask bad flavours, but I'm sure there are some here who will argue that a good sauce compliments the meat to achieve an overall flavour, but I digress).

The wings turned out quite juicy. After several attempts I can offer the following advice (some of this will be obvious, I'm just being thorough):

1) Don't trim off any fat. This will lead to dry wings and is just unnecessary work.

2) Place the wings in the top half of the smoker. I use the top rack only if I just have a couple dozen wings or the top two racks if I have more. I find that by using the top rack, the heat has dispersed more evenly from the back of the smoker and both the front and back of the rack get even heat. If I use the lower rack, the back dries out or I have to keep opening the smoker to rotate the racks, which is counter-productive.

3) Cook the wings at 220 F for about 2 hours. Since there is not much meat, the wings will cook quickly and get more than enough smoke flavour in that time. Once the wings are done, they will dry out quickly so make sure to check on them at the 2 hour mark. I have found that it is really difficult to get a good temp reading with a thermometer on wings so what I do is cut one of the drumlets at the meaty end. If the bone is red, I cook longer. If not I remove them. This has worked well for me so far. As far as smoke goes, I don't really care for straight hickory I usually use a mixture of hickory and a different wood (apple, cherry, pecan, etc) and I have had great results with a pecan/apple mixture.

4) FTC for 3-4 hours.

5) Eat until you have to undo a belt notch.

It took me a few tries to get it right. My first batch came out perfect, which only made me over-confident and led to completely drying out my second batch. I've made 5 or 6 batches now and seem to be getting consistent results. I have 2 chickens and a pork shoulder in the Bradley now, but that will be the subject of a different post.

-Eric

ChefBill

Thanx Dude,
We thank you for your information on the Wings. I'm like you on the sauce, Maybe a little rub but I want to taste the wings without setting myself on fire. The idea about top racks is a good idea. Thanx again & Welcome to the Forum. ChefBill

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it