New 6 rack in MN

Started by jaegertc, January 02, 2010, 12:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Wow cousin Q, it's nice to see you have a mild opinion on this  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

;D ;D Just trying to help but you know us Canadians, we don't get to excited about much. :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

jaegertc

Just reporting results.  It was very cold the night/day I did my brisket and had some issues keeping temp above 200 in the early a.m.  I mostly kept the vent nearly closed, although not all the way because of the temp probes running through the vent.  I did have some condensation, although I'm sure not nearly as much on a dry,cold day as a humid, summer day.

I have pics, but have not uploaded to a web-based server yet (wish we could upload directly from our computers). 

I got a very nice, dark bark and the flavor was great.  I used Ray Lampe's recipe this time.  My only issue is that it could have been a little more moist, but that could have been the result of the fact that I did not serve it for alittle more than 24 hours after the brisket came out of the smoker.

By the way, another great toy I picked up was a Gander Mountain meat slicer - nice, even slices and fast.  Felt like I was behind the deli counter.
6 Rack Digital
Vermont Castings 4 burner
ECB

classicrockgriller

ja congrats on a finish smoke.

Closing the vent will actually lower the cab temp and build up condensation.

If you are not going to serve your brisket up for awhile, don't pre slice it.

Quarlow

Glad it worked out for you.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

jaegertc

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 04, 2010, 10:17:33 PM
ja congrats on a finish smoke.

Closing the vent will actually lower the cab temp and build up condensation.

If you are not going to serve your brisket up for awhile, don't pre slice it.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts (even the strongly expressed ones).  It's finally warming up here in MN, so I'm hoping to generate some better temps from the Bradley this weekend (I'm thinking about brining and smoking a turkey).  classicrockgriller, I did not slice until the day after I smoked the brisket (still have a third of it frozen in the freezer).  Here are some pics of the brisket:

6 Rack Digital
Vermont Castings 4 burner
ECB

classicrockgriller

Nice work of Art!

Nice Bark.

Congrats!