Smoked cheese plan

Started by Roget, October 11, 2013, 05:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roget

I plan on cold smoking for the first time tomarrow evening.

I have cheddar, swiss, cojack, colby, & horseradish cheddar.

Plan is : 2 hrs. smoke (undetermined flavor) @ 75 F.
Leave in smoker 1 hr. @ 75 F.

Cool down, wipe down (if needed) then into ziploc bags & into fridge overnight.

Vacuum seal and wait at least 3 wks.

Any advice on adjustments to my plan would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. 
YCDBSOYA

Saber 4

I don't think your going to need the extra hour in the smoker after the 2 hours of smoke, you can take it right out after the smoke and let it sit for a while before you bag it. If you have access to a vacuum sealer I would recommend that you use that instead of Ziploc bags to get more air out, although I have seen members  talk about putting the Ziploc in water to squeeze all the air out.

Even though TenPoint5 may get on here and encourage you to sample your cheese out of the smoker, I have been told by several that have tried it that it tastes like an ashtray until the smoke has a chance to mellow. Most of the stuff I've read calls for leaving it alone for at least a month, I left my first cheese for 5 weeks and it was awesome. This is just what has been suggested to me, others with more experience will give you their opinions, go with whatever makes the most sense to you. :)

Roget

Thanx for your input Saber 4.

Yes, I will vacuum seal it to store it in the fridge.

Also, probably will leave it longer than the 3 wks. (if I can stay out of it that long)

I'll let you know how it goes.
YCDBSOYA

Saber 4

I've been enjoying mine, I have done shredded smoked Jarlesberg and Jalapeno crusty bread and smoked turkey and smoked cheddar pannini's. Wait a week or so and do another batch so that you have more aging and ready when you finish the first batch, which I bet goes quick. My goal is to do enough this winter to last all year because it's to hot to cold smoke most of the time.

pokermeister

After trying multiple samples every 2 days after my first cheese smoke, I have found two things. Softer cheeses will absorb the smoke after  about 3 weeks, and harder cheeses will start to convert (taste better) after 27-28 days. Smoked cheese is great, and I usually smoke 5-10 pounds at a time. 2 hours is plenty, and I use hickory or apple. Hope this helps.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Roget

Thanks pokermeister

I purchased enough cheese for two smokes.

I'm thinking apple for the first smoke & if it goes well maybe alder or even hickory for the second. (just to see the difference)

It has just started getting cool enough to try cold smoking here. I have had my Bradley cold smoke adapter for over a month & have been jones'ing to try it out.
I love smoked cheese so I really hope this turns out well.
YCDBSOYA

Habanero Smoker

I now will bloom (air dry) my cheese in the smoker for a few hours at around 70°F after the smoke has been applied. I find you get a much richer color, and I think improves the flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Like Saber mentioned. You go right ahead and taste you some of that cheese. Yes right out of the smoker. My promise to you is that 3 weeks of letting the cheese rest. It wont be a problem. Matterof fact I'm guessing you can do 2 months just to make sure its good and mellowed out!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 12, 2013, 01:51:54 AM
I now will bloom (air dry) my cheese in the smoker for a few hours at around 70°F after the smoke has been applied. I find you get a much richer color, and I think improves the flavor.

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot on my next cheese smoke.

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 12, 2013, 06:55:57 AM
Like Saber mentioned. You go right ahead and taste you some of that cheese. Yes right out of the smoker. My promise to you is that 3 weeks of letting the cheese rest. It wont be a problem. Matterof fact I'm guessing you can do 2 months just to make sure its good and mellowed out!

I knew you'd be along shortly with that comment ;)

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 12, 2013, 01:51:54 AM

Ditto Habs, I've found the same results with this process.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Roget

Hab, I knew that you let your cheese "bloom" in the smoker. ;) :)(I got the idea from you) I just didn't know how long I should leave it in. Should I turn any heat to the smoker off during this "blooming period, or try to keep it at about 70F?

Thanx a lot fellas, for trying to goad me into "the taste test" :LOL ;D ;D, but no thanx. I don't smoke anything with my mouth, so I cetainly don't want to lick an ashtray!
I'm headed out to the smokehouse to set up my cold smoke adapter for tonight. (It is still a little too warm outside to start the smoke yet)

Thanx to all for your suggestions.

P.S. I read somewhere a while back how to make the little "degree sign" on the keyboard. I know it is stupid of me but it bugs me that I can't remember how the person said to do it.
YCDBSOYA

Grouperman941

Quote from: Roget on October 12, 2013, 11:34:06 AM
Thanx a lot fellas, for trying to goad me into "the taste test" :LOL ;D ;D, but no thanx. I don't smoke anything with my mouth, so I cetainly don't want to lick an ashtray!

I might be the only one, but I don't mind the flavor right out of the smoker. :-)
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Roget on October 12, 2013, 11:34:06 AM
Hab, I knew that you let your cheese "bloom" in the smoker. ;) :)(I got the idea from you) I just didn't know how long I should leave it in. Should I turn any heat to the smoker off during this "blooming period, or try to keep it at about 70F?

I have bloomed at 80°F, but now try to keep it between 70°F - 75°F. My setup uses a temperature controller, similar to a PID, so I can regulate the heat very close to my set temperature. I keep the element on, and monitor it very closely. If the heat gets too high open the door to allow the cabinet to cool. I know I said a few hours but I meant 2 hours. If you go too long the cheese texture may change.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

I totally realize that I am pretty thick headed and a dumb ol' boy from Kentucky but can someone explain to me the difference in holding the cheese in the smoker at 70-75 degrees as opposed to simply turning the racks upside down, placing the smoked cheese on it and let it bloom for a couple of hours on the counter or table in your house where the temperature is also 70-75 degrees?

I'm a bit confused about this and certainly not an expert at smoking foods but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once. :)

devo

The reason I would do it is I refuse to turn the furnace on right now and it get pretty cold in the house with the outside temps the rest of us have from you spoiled southerners  :P