Collagen Casings?

Started by Bigbirdoffroad, May 25, 2011, 10:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdoffroad

Just a couple quick questions. Should I soak my collagen casings even tho the package says "No soaking necessary"? And,  How well do collagen cases do with smoke penetration?
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

devo

I have never soaked mine and they do very well with smoke penetration.

NePaSmoKer

You can if you like. I have with great results

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

Bigbirdoffroad

Quote from: devo on May 25, 2011, 10:32:01 AM
I have never soaked mine and they do very well with smoke penetration.
So they can go straight into the smoker without the "Drying" time?

devo

Well i'm no expert on this but this is what I have done. After stuffing let sit in fridge over night. I than take them out and let sit to room temp. I don't know how much difference you will notice if you don't.

Nepa
When you say you have great results can you expand on that one? What would be the difference? Softer casings? Inquiring minds want to know.  :)

pikeman_95

I have stuffed and headed for the smoker more times than not. I also have held it in the fridge for the next day smoke. Remember to bring the sausage to room temperature and allow dry time before loading on the smoke. Warm dry sausage smokes very well. Cold wet sausage will just condense the undesirable things out of the smoke.
Kirby

Bigbirdoffroad

Going right to the smoker from the stuffer, so you let your meat cure before you stuff it?

devo

Nepa & Pickman_95 have made more saugage than I could eat in a life time so I'm sure they will set you straight on this but what I have been doing and this is my thinking on it, I stuff then I leave in the fridge over night so the cure has time to work. Having the room in the fridge is a consideration for sure.

NePaSmoKer

One thing to remember about cure.

It cures the meat for smoking and helps reduce the bacteria that can form and grow. Cure does not kill the nasty's

When i do not have time to stuff/smoke i mix and cover in the fridge for stuffing/smoking the next day. If i mix/stuff and no time i coil the sticks on racks or hang the chubs both UNCOVERED. Try not to have the sticks/chubs touching if you fridge these 2 ways.

But this is how i do things. I in no way am a pro like Eldon, Rytek (rip) or them high end guys/gals.

I have soaked the collagen a few times to see how they stuffed. Works good just remember they get soft and are very easy to blow out. As far as diverence between not soaking i have not noticed any, just like to change things up at times is all  ;D

Bigbirdoffroad

Cool!! I just got my Kirby Cannon in the mail (Thanks Kirby), and I'm going to give it a try. I have never stuffed sausage. How much trouble can I get in....LOL

Hey NePa, Good thing my wife will be out of town, I'll be using the Kirby inside!!!

devo

QuoteHow much trouble can I get in
;D :D ;D :D ;D :D
You will have fun thats for sure

Kevin A

Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on May 26, 2011, 09:11:41 AM
Cool!! I just got my Kirby Cannon in the mail (Thanks Kirby), and I'm going to give it a try. I have never stuffed sausage. How much trouble can I get in....LOL

Hey NePa, Good thing my wife will be out of town, I'll be using the Kirby inside!!!
Have fun!
I've been using the KC outside for three reasons: 1) I enjoy being outside this time of year 2) I'm still in the KC-learning curve where my 'water episodes' are happening less frequently (operator error, of course) and 3) I've more room to spread out on a larger table (versus a kitchen counter) and use a large (24" diameter) lazy susan to coil the sausage as it emerges from the KC.