Hot Dogs....help

Started by micman, January 13, 2012, 11:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micman

Yesterday I made my third batch of 812's dogs, the skin on the dogs is tough and chewy, How do I make the outer skin softer for for placing in buns, am I smokin to long ( about 2 hrs), should I smoke this and poach longer.

Mick.

Sailor

Are you using cellulose casings and then pulling the casings off to get the skinless dog or are you using collagen casings?  Sounds like you might be using collagen casings.  My recommendation is to use the cellulose casings when you want a skinless texture for dogs or kielbasa.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

micman

Sailor I am using the cellulose casings, it is my understanding that with smoke it gives the firmness to the outer of the sausage, I like my dogs smoked but don't want them that tuff on the out side edge :-\.  Should I smoke them less and poach them longer.

OU812

What do you have your smoker temp set at?

Maybe lower your smoker temp.

Too hot too fast will cause the sausage to be tuff on the out side.

bundy

Should not be a SKIN on the outside if you pealed the Cellulose off???????

Sailor

I have had good luck with drying the casings for 1 hr at 130 then rolling smoke for 2 hrs at 140.  Then into the hot tub with 160 degree water.  IT to 152 and into ice bath and bloom.  Rest in fridge overnight then peel the casing.  No problem with a tough skin. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

OU812

Quote from: Sailor on January 14, 2012, 06:02:44 AM
I have had good luck with drying the casings for 1 hr at 130 then rolling smoke for 2 hrs at 140.  Then into the hot tub with 160 degree water.  IT to 152 and into ice bath and bloom.  Rest in fridge overnight then peel the casing.  No problem with a tough skin.

Ditto.