They say the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask...so....

Started by Patsplace, March 07, 2011, 12:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patsplace

In the various recipes that I've looked at, (Salmon right now) it talks about 2 hrs. at 100-120 degrees. I pre-heat the smoker but it cools dramatically when I put the cold fish in and takes quite a while to get up to temperature. Does the time start when the smoker has brought the temperature up to 120 after the fish is put in or right when I put it in?

My sockeye is being transformed into Kummok Salmon as I type.

Pat

I feel much better since I started smoking.

iceman

IMHO I do like you do when pressure canning and start the time once everything is back up to temp. To help your smoker get back up to temp try putting a couple of bricks wrapped in foil in it prior to preheating and leave them in the whole time. This helps the smoker recover temps much quicker. Remember every time you open the door things will slow way down and temp swings can cause the dreaded white fat syndrome.  :o  ;D Hope this helps out a bit. I'm sure others will kick in some advice soon.

Patsplace

Thanks Iceman,
I'm going to cruise over to a pals place tonight and pick myself up a couple of his bricks. Yesterday I couldn't even spell "I love my Bradley" now I are one.

Slamdunk

I'll restrict my comments to salmon....

The temp and times are only guide lines. It really depends on your personal preference on how you like your salmon. Some people like it drier, others more moist. To find out which you like better put some in right away and some after your heat has recuperated. Make a note of the temps and times when you put them in and then you can adjust them the next time you smoke some ...

Either way with Kummok's salmon recipe you'll enjoy it !! Good luck.

Patsplace

A good idea, putting some in early and some later. It's all a little bit intimidating at this point because I'd really hate to screw up some really good meat and I've been "by the booking" it. So far the Bear Hams, Bear Sausage, Elk Sausage and the Sockeye have come out really well. I'm not sure that my smoker isn't a bit hotter than the gauge shows although it could very well be the opening and closing of the door that did the white fat syndrome to a few of the bigger pieces of Sockeye. I think that this weekend I'll do some serious reading and order a PID for temperature control. The bricks are going in tomorrow as I've got a full load or maybe two of Spring salmon off some fish I caught in the Charlottes. Strips off the fillets, top to bottom barely fit on a tray. Life is so-o-o-o tough!! ;D