I just went all in!!!

Started by bigcatdaddy, November 10, 2010, 02:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcatdaddy

After researching and reading all the post, I've decided to jump into the sausage business whole hog.....no pun intended.  I've been wanting to make my own snack sticks and sausage for a long time.  I've just purchased a LEM 5# Stuffer(I tried stuffing sticks with a grinder once....not good)  I also bought all the seasonings and cures to get started.  I going to have to get me another grinder because my KA took a dump.  I've been looking at the Cabelas grinders.  They look pretty sturdy and I like the attachments.  Have any of you owned any Cabelas grinders?  If so, how do you like them?  I'm sure I'll continue to be on here picking your brains with questions.

Thanks in advance!!
BCD

KyNola

BCD,
NePaS has two grinders he is wanting to sell.  One of them is from Cabela's I think.  Check the items for sale section of the forum.  I think that is where he has his posting.

GusRobin

I have the Cabelas that goes for $120 something but is usually on sale for $99. It is a decent grinder if you chill the meat and cut into strips rather than chunks. If the budget allows, I would go one step higher and get a little more HP. But if it doesn't, this model works fine for me. I am also using it as a stuffer which sucks but as a grinder it is worth the money.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikeradio

bigcatdaddy

I think I going with the Cabellas 3/4 hp Commercial Grinder.  I also bought ECA and meat binder.  When making sticks and sausage do most of you guys  use the ECA and binder?

BCD

Sailor

I use a binder in my Summer Sausage.  For fresh sausage I don't use a binder.  Sometimes I use a binder and sometimes not when I make a smoked sausage.  I think using a binder keeps a smoked sausage more moist.  As for ECA I have never used it, however I just got my ECA from UPS and I am mixing up a batch of Greg's spicy sticks and it calls for ECA so this is the first time that I have used it.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

classicrockgriller

Sailor

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 12, 2010, 05:03:34 PM
You have gone all in till you get some of these ........

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/4168/Non_Edible
OMG!!!!!!!  I think the local gas station sells them things in the men's room.  Thud :o

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

bigcatdaddy