Some local pictures?

Started by ArnieM, October 06, 2009, 05:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Here's a couple of pictures from Buffalo CO WI, a pretty well known area for large whitetails. These were taken about 20 miles from where I live. Not a large buck but the white one is an albino deer that was in a field along with several others. Forgive the quality of the pics as my camera is a bit on the weak side for the distance these were at.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

Wow an albino whitetail. That would make a cool mount. Do you get albino bucks or just doe's.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

I've never seen an Albino whitetail before.  Lord knows we probably have more whitetail around here than squirrels.  The bucks are fairly rare though, mostly does and "Bambis".

I should be able to get some closeup shots.  I can go out into the yard, wave my arms, clap my hands and shout at them.  They stand there and look at me like I'm an idiot.  Well ... 'nuf said.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Quarlow on October 09, 2009, 03:50:27 PM
Wow an albino whitetail. That would make a cool mount. Do you get albino bucks or just doe's.

This is the only one I have ever seen and was lucky enough to have the camera that day. Bucks have been spotted but it would be a pretty expensive mount as all Albino deer are protected in WI.
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

We have an island up the coast that has white black bears. They are called spirit bears. I don't know if they are protected or not but they probably should be.

OBS
BBQ

smokeitall

I gotta work on getting some photos loaded on my laptop.  I have them all on my external hard drive and CD's from my last laptop.  So I will have to post a few here and there.

Here is a couple of my cabin in northern WI...I don't get there as much anymore since I moved to St. Louis but it is one of my favorite places in the world.

Great idea by the way of sharing favorite photos, this is one of the best threads.
SIA

OU812

H S the forth pict looks allot like the drive home to my place, hills and trees and deer all over the place.

Never seen an albino deer but have seen some that had white from there chest to there forhead, had my sites on one but couldn't squeeze the trigger cause it was only a button buck. Needless to say I never seen him again.  :(

ArnieM

Quote from: Quarlow on October 09, 2009, 04:11:09 PM
We have an island up the coast that has white black bears. They are called spirit bears.

Any chance of getting a pic of one of those Q?  I'd love to see one.  I wonder if there are any black polar bears ??? ???
-- Arnie

dbrown1

This has been a great thread love getting to see a little bit of where other folks live.. thank you all for sharing.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on October 09, 2009, 04:35:29 PM
Quote from: Quarlow on October 09, 2009, 04:11:09 PM
We have an island up the coast that has white black bears. They are called spirit bears.

Any chance of getting a pic of one of those Q?  I'd love to see one.  I wonder if there are any black polar bears ??? ???

I found this link Arnie. I had never heard of them so had to look it up. http://www.vws.org/project/spiritbear/about_bear/index.html Let's hope Q can get a photo for us.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Hmmm. Smoked Kermode bear.  Never mind.  My bad, my bad.  Interesting link Hawkeye. 

It's such a diverse and interesting world.  Too bad we're ruining it.
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: OU812 on October 09, 2009, 04:34:52 PM
H S the forth pict looks allot like the drive home to my place, hills and trees and deer all over the place.

Never seen an albino deer but have seen some that had white from there chest to there forhead, had my sites on one but couldn't squeeze the trigger cause it was only a button buck. Needless to say I never seen him again.  :(

That picture gives a pretty good description on the area I live in. Lot's of farms but they will farm a mountainside here! This is a picture at the end of the road where I was born. It's kind of special to me as the road signs were named after my grandfather. The farm had been in the family well over 100 years at the time. And I remember crashing my bike coming down that hill when I was 8 years old. It was gravel at the time so I was picking stones out for a while.  :D

HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

just google search on images for "spirit bear" and you get lots of pics

OBS
BBQ

OU812

H S beautiful country side, kinda hits the hart when it comes to old home steads.

Hears a couple of sun sets around here

Here's one over the Missouri river, only 6 miles east of me

A couple sun rises