cold smoking why?

Started by laserdoc, April 03, 2011, 03:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laserdoc

What are the advantages of cold smoking. Just wondering if I should get one of those adapters for my Bradley. I see alot of comments about cold smoking. Which is better cold or hot and when to use either one.Do most people do cold or hot and why?
I have only tried my smoker twice. Last week with baby back ribs and yesterday with salmon. Both turned out primo!!

muebe

One advantage is when smoking cheese. Hot smoking cheese will leave you with a gooey mess at the bottom of your smoker ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

laserdoc

we;; I got that one ;D but what are the other reasons ?

pensrock

A cold smoking attachment is useful if what ever you are smoking needs to be done at a low temperature. It takes the puck burner out of the tower so the heat is also removed allowing a much cooler smoke.  Cold smoking would work well with fish, hard boiled eggs, cheese to name a few.

NePaSmoKer

And then you have to go extreme cold smoking  :D

Thats why  ;D

hal4uk

Another good reason would be like what Bear did yesterday...
He cold smoked Ribeyes, which infuses the steaks with the smoke flavor without really "cooking" them.  So, after the cold smoke, he grilled them.  Yum.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21688.0

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Mr Walleye

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 03, 2011, 07:05:56 AM
And then you have to go extreme cold smoking  :D

Thats why  ;D

That's a great picture Rick!  ;)

Cold smokin' the garage! hehehehe....  ;D  ;D  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

watchdog56

Cold smoking works great for cheese. I just use  cardboard box and dryer vent hose(a lot cheaper than other options).

laserdoc

your not worried about the pucks when they burn catching the box on fire??

hal4uk

Quote from: laserdoc on April 03, 2011, 02:33:54 PM
your not worried about the pucks when they burn catching the box on fire??
The pucks are burning in the generator, not in his cardboard box.
There's just smoke going in there.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

laserdoc

you have a pic of your setup so I can see where the generator is to the cardboard box and then to the cabinet
?
Please bare with me with all of these stupid questions. This hobby is sort of new to me.
Thanks man!!

Gizmo

When you put the smoke generator into the cardboard box, you put a bowl of water under the puck burner just like it was in the tower.  Here is a picture of the inside of the box.

Inside the tower.  I added ice in the bottom to keep the tower cold.  Be careful though, you can get the bottom of the tower too cold and the smoke will not rise unless you have a slight breeze pushing into the smoke gen and carrying the smoke out the tower.

An here is the total setup.  This was done within a few weeks of owning the smoker and seeing similar posts on the board.

Cold smoking is good for Salmon (especially a Lox style), bacon, cheese, etc. or anything that needs the low temp (read as safe to smoke cold).
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Lke what hal stated...if you just want to "kiss" anything with smoke but not cook it...it's great...I do it with potato slices for augratin potatos...any seafood...clams..mussels...soft shelled crabs...scallops...any meat you may want to prepare in another way then roast in the bradley or oven...I've cold smoked english bacon as well (basically cured not smoked ham)...yada yada...it is not only for cheese...but that cheese is awesome!!!  :)

watchdog56

Mine looks just like Gizmos. Works great.

laserdoc

Thanks for the setup pics! I totally understand know.
I guess if you want to do ribs or chicken and cook them you just reattached the smoke generator