NY Strip

Started by Consiglieri, December 15, 2008, 07:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

Posted this on the "... This Weekend" thread and wanted to follow up with some pictures.  Here's the original post:

I have a whole trimmed NY Strip (halved for easier handling) that's been marinating for a couple of days ready to be cooked tomorrow.  Marinade:

1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix (I use good seasons)
2T crushed garlic
1 palm's worth each of: onion powder, dry mustard, brown sugar, Italian seasoning.
60 cranks on the pepper mill
1 750ml bottle of red wine
1/2 to 1C of soy sauce
about a 1/4C of olive oil.

I grill this cut, but throw a few bisquettes on the burn plates to infuse some smoke.  Probably some hickory with a touch of the mesquite. 

This is a great choice when you have a big crowd: cheaper than prime rib, but lots of flavor and meat.  Meat is carved on the thinner side, about 3/8 inch thick.  We'll be serving creamed spinach and baked potatoes on the side. 

I'm looking forward to Sunday. 

Here's some before pictures along with one of Anchor Brewery's Christmas beer (my favorite).  The marinade stains the meat purple, but you don't see that color in the finished product.

Here's the meat on the grill, cut and carved (we reserved about a quarter for carving later).  About an hour and a half cook time.  You need to babysit the meat because it can flare up PDQ.  I used maple bisquettes for a bit of smoke.

We had a great time and there were only a couple of slices left over.  This meal is one of my favorites.  I'm still full the morning after. 

Cheers
Consiglieri
Consiglieri

IKnowWood

Oh my.  That looks yummy.  Did you taste the smoke?
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Smoking Duck

Well done, Sigs!  When are you bringing the show to Indiana?  ;D

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

Consig,

Awesome looking!

I'm curious about your cutting board, have never seen one like that.

Deb

Consiglieri

Thanks, all.  I'm still in a food coma; working on my 4th cup of coffee this morning.

IKW: the smoke is not as pronounced as you'd get using the BS for a while-- I just used about 4 or 5 pucks worth of maple. 

SD: I've never been to Indiana but I think the meat would be cold by the time I pulled into the driveway. ;D

Deb:  I made the cutting board, modelled on a smaller pyramid one we received for a wedding gift and a reservoir one my father in law has.  Squared/jointed some maple boards and glued them two thick, 3 boards across.  Then routed the pyramids with a V groove bit making length-wise, then cross-wise cuts.  I then routed the channels and the "juice reservoir" with a straight bit (which also cut out the imperfect pyramid rows  ;)) and rounded the edges.  Finished with butcher block oil. The pyramids hold the meat in place very well, but they make clean up more of a project.  The channels were originally an error correction, but they wound up looking nice, ease the cleaning, and help the juice get to the reservoir.   I did this before the baby came along.  Don't think I could pull off the project now with the little helper running around the garage.  Curious George would want to play with the power tools. 
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

Sigs,
You let me worry about the temp of the meat; you just feel free to make the trip.  That stuff looks good enough that I'd eat it spoiled!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Scotty-G

Consiglieri,
Since I see you enjoy an Anchor Beer,
have you ever gone on the tour at Anchor Brewery in SF?
It's pretty cool and you get to sample at the end of the tour
Their Barley Wine is pretty awesome too.
Scotty-G

Smokin Soon

Do you have certain temp you pull the meat! The color is perfect for my taste. Ahd how many Anchor Steam's went in to the effort?

Consiglieri

Scotty G: I lived in SF or the SF Bay Area for many years, but surprisingly I never toured the Anchor Brewery. It's surprising because I've known they sponsor those tours, with tasting, know where they are, and sure do enjoy their products.  Liberty Ale is my favorite beer, period.  I look forward to the Our Special Brew every year too. 

SS: In another surprising development, I didn't have any of the Christmas beers yesterday.  The guests brought some good wine my sister in law brought a bottle of Maker's Mark.  Well, having to tend to the grill out in the cold, I'm sure you'll understand that I needed some of the MM to stay warm.  I pulled the meat at about 140IT and let it rest, foil-tented, for about 15 minutes.  I was getting different readings at different places in the meat and 140F was the highest reading.  That gave us slices on both ends of the medium rare to medium well spectrum to satisfy all the customers.  Probably should have pulled the meat at a few degrees lower, but tasted great to me.
Consiglieri

deb415611

Consigs,

Now it's even cooler because you made it.

Enjoy the "little helper" while you can.  They get to a point where they disapear & don't want to help any more.   

Deb

Smokin Soon

That just goes to show ya that every cut of meat is not the same. I did one, pulled at 140 and no pink to be found. Will have to try again with a decent thermometer.

deb415611

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 15, 2008, 02:59:20 PM
That just goes to show ya that every cut of meat is not the same. I did one, pulled at 140 and no pink to be found. Will have to try again with a decent thermometer.

SS,

The roast I did yesterday in the weekend thread was pulled at 135 (maverick probe).  Very pink. 

Deb

Consiglieri

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 15, 2008, 02:59:20 PM

140IT was the highest reading, nearer one end of the meat.  Other readings were a bit lower (nearer 135IT). 
Consiglieri

Smokin Soon

Deb, have you checked the variance between your Maverick and Thermapen. My Maverick reads about 4 degrees shy of the thermopen.

deb415611

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 15, 2008, 03:39:55 PM
Deb, have you checked the variance between your Maverick and Thermapen. My Maverick reads about 4 degrees shy of the thermopen.

I hadn't,  just tested in boiling water - the Maverick read 212 and the thermapen was fluctuating between 213 & 214