Help me please?

Started by cackler69, February 14, 2013, 05:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cackler69

I've brined my salmon for 24 hrs....put it on the racks and into the fridge.....since it's dinner time here, it's too late to start it tonight......and I'm waiting for senior pellicle to show up. I'm not sure I'll recognize him though. Will he stick around till the morning? Will he survive in the fridge? Should I cover the fish, or will he not be able to find it if I do??

I think I boo-booed again with my timing. I'm so glad salmon is on sale this week.

Thanks for your IMMEDIATE attention.

Mrs. C  :-*

ps....Kummoks brine

devo

Just leave it in the fridge till the morning and you will be good to go.

cackler69

Thanks! I have a second batch in the brine, ready in the morning....how long does it take for the pellicle?? I would like to smoke it all at the same time....??

pmmpete

How long it takes to develop a pelicle depends on the temperature, the humidity, and the speed of the surrounding air.  At room temperature and low humidity with a fan blowing over the racks, perhaps an hour.  In the fridge in humid conditions, a long time.  You can speed up the development of a pelicle by putting the fish in your smoker without any smoke going at perhaps 100 degrees, particularly if you have added a circulation fan to your smoker.   But don't fire up the smoke generator until you have developed a pelicle; wet meat doesn't absorb smoke well.

Habanero Smoker

Neither do you want the surface too dry, or that will also reduce the rate of smoke penetration and adhesion. You still want the surface to feel tacky, which is a sign the the surface is still moist.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cackler69

THANK YOU...... ;D

iceman

Like Hab said, as long as it is still a bit tacky you're good to go. When you touch the fish it should still feel soft but "bounce" back. Sort of like when you bake cake layers  ;D

cackler69

Well.....it turned out great! A little too salty so I'm thinking too long in the brine? But delicious nonetheless! Now.....what can I do with smoked salmon other than have it plain......?
I'm going to get more to do tomorrow.....like I said...it's on sale...$4.99 a lb.

devo

Make smoked salmon salad.
Make smoked salmon dip
make Smoked Salmon Appetizers

Theres lot of things you can do with smoked salmon. Best of all just eat it  ;)

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: cackler69 on February 17, 2013, 06:39:38 AM
Well.....it turned out great! A little too salty so I'm thinking too long in the brine? But delicious nonetheless! Now.....what can I do with smoked salmon other than have it plain......?
I'm going to get more to do tomorrow.....like I said...it's on sale...$4.99 a lb.

Smoked salmon chowder, smoked salmon and pasta, smoked salmon omelettes, w/cream cheese on bagels or crackers......
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Quarlow

Just chop some up fairly fine and mix it in with some cream cheese and use it as a spread. It is better the next day but is awesome right away.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

Oh and don't forget to mix liberal amounts of it with large glasses of cold beer. Nothin' better. ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pikeman_95

Here are a couple of suggestions.

salmon chowder very good.

and smoked salmon on Cesar salad.

cackler69

Oh goodness...ya'll are just too funny. Thank you  :)