A wonderful thing happened

Started by bigredsmoker, January 25, 2008, 03:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredsmoker

A few weeks ago I smoked three racks of baby backs, my first try. They were good, and probably better than any I have ever done using the oven and the grill, but I did not achieve the fall of the bone good that I prefer. We finished of 2 racks and I decided to freeze the third. Took them out last night and put them on a cookie sheet with some apple juice in the pan for moisture slathered with Iceman Sauce, and tented them with foil. I put them into a 300 degree oven and was planning on about 20 minutes to warm them up. My wife got busy with the kids and I got distracted and they were in for probably an hour to an hour and a half. When I opened them up and tried to transfer them to the cutting board they just fell apart. Wow! They were so much better than the day I made them. My wife, who will usually eat 2 or 3 bones ate like 5 or six.

Looking back, I think the day I made them I rushed the cook a little due to late start times and hungry family. Next time I will be sure to allow plenty of time. Just thought I would pass that story along, I was truely a wonderful thing!

Gizmo

I usually finish my ribs wrapped in foil with a little AJ or Jack Daniels and go for about 1.5 hours.  I use a lower temperature though.  It always tenderizes them but I try to not mess up and have them fall off the bone  :D so I can Sopn' Sauce them with a high heat grill glaze finish.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

begolf25

bigred,

I was having the same problem with my ribs until I learned the problem was my lack of patience..lol

I will usually smoke my ribs in the Bradley at around 205-210 for 4-5 hours. Then I transfer them into a foil pan, add some apple juice and cover the ribs in sauce (90% of the time its Icemans Sop n' Sauce) cover with foil and cook them in my oven for another 4-5 hours at 250-275. By then they are usually fall off the bone.

Sometimes after the oven I will add some more sauce and finish on a hot grill just for a few minutes.

Bryan