Started by seemore, February 08, 2010, 11:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

Mrs
Can you shoot me the KAP recipe?
I want to see how it compares to my bread maker recipe
The breadmaker uses 2/3 all purpose flour and 1/3 whole wheat
Plus of course yeast, sugar, salt, splash of EVOO
Sometimes I chuck in some cheese or garlic or something to zip the crust up a bit
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Caneyscud

Quote from: seemore on February 09, 2010, 10:30:15 AM
It's funny:  For the first 10-14 years of our marriage, he really did not express an interest in cooking, etc.
I used to do all kinds of different ideas for meals;  I'd go through all of our cookbooks, cooking magazines, etc.
Then I kind of slacked off, so to speak, since his work schedule was so wacky.  
Well in the past few years, seemore has really begun to take up cooking, baking, grilling, smoking.....
We tend to work together on a lot of projects, but since I have been off he has been doing all of the cooking.
I now have a reputation to uphold, once I get back on both feet.
Mrs
Mrs, I think the Mr. got off lucky in life!  I had to cook right out of the starting block if I wanted to eat or enjoy eating.  Coming from Texas, I was all about big tastes, chicken fried, and even bigger meals.  Well west and middle Tennessee didn't see food in the same light.  It was and usually still is bogogogo food - bland, overcooked, grey, overcooked, gloppy, overcooked, greasy, overcooked.   Did I say overcooked and bland? Don't get me wrong some was pretty good once it got doctored up.  So instead of hearing the questions about why I always put hot sauce, and spices on everything she cooked, I just took over the cooking (and the shopping).  Plus I think there was a comment made about how she did not go to college to be someone's personal cook!  I took the hint!  I'm sometimes good that way!! ;D ;D  If'n the Mr. don't make them red velvets, I'll come and make them for you!

BTW, what's this KAF pizza thingie you are referring to?  I might just have to make homemade dough sometime.  My Mrs likes Pizza Hut's dough.  I know, I know - but Nashville and Tennessee isn't known for it's pizza!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Quote from: Caneyscud on February 09, 2010, 11:46:28 AM
 It was and usually still is bogogogo food - bland, overcooked, grey, overcooked, gloppy, overcooked, greasy, overcooked.   Did I say overcooked and bland? Don't get me wrong some was pretty good once it got doctored up.  So instead of hearing the questions about why I always put hot sauce, and spices on everything she cooked, I just took over the cooking (and the shopping).

That is the same at my house.

oakville smoker

We got  case of that here too
The wife tries to cook BUT everything is cooked beyond recognition
The kids won't eat anything she makes to eat, all she here is it does not taste like ....

Thanks god I love to cook or we would all be hungry...   LOL
She knows she is spoiled and honestly, I dont mind spoiling her

Our first date was me taking her on a lakeside picnic
I pulled out some FTC chicken wings, tater salad ( home made of course ), home made bread, home made cesar salad, cheeses, some crackers and probably other stuff I cannot even remember
A bottle of chardonnay, couple of glasses, a chiller for the wine bottle
Some chocolate dipped strawberries
Of course a rose

Life has been excellent ever since even tough I got a life sentence in the kitchen

You could say I set the bar too high from day one
But what the hell, you only live once
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

seemore

Scott's  mom is an EXCELLENT cook, and his grandmother - the one with the furten recipe - was an awesome baker!  So, I had some BIG culinary shoes to fill!
My Mom - God rest her soul - TRIED to cook, but it just never came out like it should.
I remember the first time she made tacos:  the meat was not seasoned, there was no cheese, and no sauce to put on top.  I guess I learned at an early age the art of SEASONING.   ;)
I will get the link for the pizza.  That King Arthur Flour website is a great resource.  That is where Scott found that AWESOME brownie recipe!

seemore

Here is the link to the pizza crust recipe Scott used:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pizza-crust-recipe

Once you are in there, take a look around their website.  All kinds of neat recipes!!
Mrs

seemore

I forgot to add that we added 2 teaspoons of that Pizza Dough flavoring to our dough.  That is not on the recipe that we used.
Mrs.

seemore

I am just striking out here left and right.  Seemore just reminded me that instead of 3 Cups of flour, he used 1 3/4 c of flour and 1 1/4 c of semolina flour.

Let me write this down as he made it, ok????
It really is using the KAF recipe, I swear!!!!

1 package active dry yeast
1 1/8 C lukewarm water
2 T olive oil
1 3/4 C King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/4 C semolina flour
1 1/4 t salt
2 t pizza dough flavoring

Then follow the instructions in the recipe.

SORRY for all the confusion.   ???

classicrockgriller

seemore

It is another type of flour, and we found it in the health food section of the grocery store.

deb415611

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 10, 2010, 03:20:12 PM
what is semolina?

Coarse wheat flour.  It is a little smaller than cornmeal,  actually I think cream of wheat might be semolina.  It's used in pizza dough, italian breadsometimes - also sprinkled on the bottom.  

seemore

FLBentRider

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 10, 2010, 03:20:12 PM
what is semolina?

I used it to make pasta, when I used to eat that stuff...  ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

azamuner73

My wife uses Semolina in her Russian meatballs (Kotletkas).  Yeah it's like a fine cornmeal like others have mentioned.

seemore

Ok, Azamuner, now I am intrigued:  Russian meatballs?  Care to give the recipe?????
Mrs