Applewood Smoked Poke Tenderloin Stuffed With Scotch Ale & Guyere Cheese

Started by muebe, May 10, 2011, 10:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

I just finished my convection fan mod on my OBS and decided to test it out. I had another couple of tenderloins in the deep freeze & cheese that I did not use for the throwdown. I rubbed the loins with Char-Broil's Memphis Rub. I then slit them in the middle and generously stuffed them with Scotch Ale cheese and Guyere cheese. The loins were strapped together with high temp silicone bands. I then programmed the PID to 220F for 1.2 hours on the first step. Then the second step at 220F with the convection fan on and a stop point at IT of 158F. I loaded 6 Applewood Pucks(2 hours) into the generator with 3 Bubba Pucks....

Man this loin cooked real fast once the convection fan started! I kinda was worried that it was cooking too fast...I was wrong ;D The loins took 2 hours to get to a IT of 158F. I then removed the loin and it was foil tented for a 30 minute rest.

OMG...It turned out so moist and tender. After I carved it I was able to cut it on my plate with a fork and did not need a knife ;)

A couple comments about the convection fan. I did smoke the first hour without the fan on and the second hour with it on. There was still plenty of smoke coming out of the stack with the fan on. Smoke was coming out the stack a little faster with it on but there was plenty of it. I did not have any smoke backing out of the cabinet or my generator...it was all coming out the stack. Also I noticed with the convection fan on that the in the door temp gauge registered at the same temp as the PID cabinet temp reading(PID temp probe was at the back of the cabinet just below the meat and door gauge was above). And it appears I will need to make cooking time adjustments for this fan. But this mod worked great with this first cook. I am not sure how well this fan would work with the 500W element that comes with the OBS but is great with the 900W finned element.

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Tenpoint5

Looks good but it also looks like there needs to be a better way to keep the cheese inside the meat and not all over the frogmat!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

muebe

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 10, 2011, 10:19:22 AM
Looks good but it also looks like there needs to be a better way to keep the cheese inside the meat and not all over the frogmat!!

Yeah....maybe I did overstuff it with a bit too much cheese ::) In my defense they were two loins tied together so there were two sides for cheese to come out from. The big clump of cheese on the frog mat was scraped from the v-tray :P
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

squirtthecat

Maybe run some bacon down the cut sides next time..    Like a big Bacon Band-aid.  :D

OU812

Looks gooood muebe.

I use a bacon weave when doin a stuffed loin, just sayin.

KyNola

muebe

Did not have any bacon to use...wife usually has some in the fridge  :'(

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

ghost9mm

I am pretty sure that I could really enjoy some of that...lol heck I would even pick the cheese off the frog mat.. lol... that tender loin looks like about as good as it gets...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill