Wet or dry cured pork ribs?

Started by Northern_Smoke, May 17, 2011, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

I seem to recall someone talking about curing ribs so it was almost like bacon on a stick. Does anyone remember the topic or has anyone done this? I was thinking about giving it a try.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

squirtthecat

I've done it on a small rack of spares.  1 T/lb of MTQ rubbed on overnight.   Then smoked on my pellet grill.

Tasted like (really salty) hammy bacon on a stick.

I'll see if I can find the post.

Northern_Smoke

Interesting. I was wondering about using a maple bacon cure but wasn't sure about the bones. I know with ham you have to inject it all around the bone but I was thinking that with the ribs, the meat is so thin you wouldn't have to worry. Hopefully someone more experienced than menhas tried this n

Habanero Smoker

I have done these several times with Carolina style spare ribs, I call them either "Ham On A Stick" or "Bacon On A Stick". I have at least one post on this, maybe a couple. You can use either method, but dry curing takes up less space, and for a thin cut of meat it is just as fast. Although I have made them a few times, I not all that impress, and only make them for others when asked to do so. I used to use TQ, but now use the Basic Cure. You can also alter the flavor by adding more sugar and other flavoring to the cure, such as when you make Canadian bacon, or belly bacon. I'm not sure which maple cure you are using, is it one of the Bradley cures? If it is, then a maple cure mix then it already has additions seasonings.

You don't need to inject, that because the meat is thin and the curing time is very short. You only need to cure them for a few hours, around 4 - 5 hours. If you are curing baby backs I would use the lower end of the curing time. Using commercial type of cure mixes in this type of application, you may have to experiment with the curing times.  After curing rinse well, pat dry, and use a non-salt or very low salt rub.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Northern_Smoke

Thanks for the replies. I think I have to try it at least once haha. I will use the basic cure and just add some optional flavoring. I was kind of envisioning a ham like rib and then just throw it on the BBQ to crisp up the outside. Might have to try it this weekend.

squirtthecat