Very new newbie to smoking

Started by Kitchen Commander, September 25, 2011, 04:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitchen Commander

Hello all.  I've finally decided to get the Bradley smoker after researching many.  Not sure whether I'll get the digital 4 rack, or the Bradley Original 4 rack.  I'll probably decide when I'm at Cabella's ready to make the purchase.  Heard something about getting the original and an add on digital device.  Don't recall what it was called, but it ended in a lower overall cost and great performance.

I love forums, and I'm on a couple for recreation vehicles.  Hoping this one is just as informative and fun.
Proud to have served & retired, 20 years United States Army Airborne.

mikecorn.1

Mike

GusRobin

I would look at Amazon and WalMart.  many times they have great sales on the Bradley.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: GusRobin on September 25, 2011, 05:03:58 PM
I would look at Amazon and WalMart.  many times they have great sales on the Bradley.
True that. I got mine two years ago at walmart.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Quarlow

Welcome and oh by the way, this forum is better than any others cause you get to eat the knowledge we give.  ;D ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

muebe

to the forum!

I recommend that you get a OBS and a PID ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to a really greaat forum....
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SiFumar

Welcome!  This forum is the most informative and fun than you can find!  Plus you'll not ever find the most kind and friendly people than you find here.  Someone is always here to answer your questions, no matter how many times asked, they give advice.

Kitchen Commander

Thanks for all the friendly replies folks.  Well I went and done it!  I picked up my Bradley original today.  I'll get a PID later on.  It's sitting on the deck going through it's seasoning process now.

Not sure what I'm gonna cook this weekend, but it'll be something good for sure.  Hmmm, I only cooked half of a 7.5 pork tenderloin yesterday.  That might be a good piece to start out on.  I'm hoping to experiment enough till I get the best ribs possible.  The city of Sparks, NV nearby me has an annual cook off competition.  Those folks are serious about their ribs and the equipment they use.  Some of their custom made smokers must cost as much as a small car, but I have a client that does a mini rib cook off with their employees and some of their vendors competing against each other.  I've been a judge for it and I think I might be able to beat some of them.

Kitchen Commander

Quote from: muebe on September 25, 2011, 06:04:21 PM
to the forum!

Muebe, I took your recommendation and got the OBS.  Will get the PID later.  Seasoned it tonight then brought it into the sunroom.  Sunroom smells so good.  Makes you hungry walking out there.  :D

muebe

Quote from: Kitchen Commander on September 26, 2011, 09:40:27 PM
Quote from: muebe on September 25, 2011, 06:04:21 PM
to the forum!

Muebe, I took your recommendation and got the OBS.  Will get the PID later.  Seasoned it tonight then brought it into the sunroom.  Sunroom smells so good.  Makes you hungry walking out there.  :D

Congrats on the new smoker. Get a good wireless thermometer like the ET-732 and ignore the door thermometer. And place the cabinet probe below the lowest rack of meat.

When you do buy the PID if you get the Bradley version make sure to get the hanging temp probe and not the wall mounted probe.

If you have any questions just ask...we are happy to help ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Kitchen Commander

Not sure what the ET-372 is but I did get a wireless thermometer when I got the smoker.  The one I got is a Maverick Ready Chek dual probe.  It should get the job done.  One temp probe has a clip to attach it to one of the grates.  The other probe is for going into the meat.  Since it doesn't have a fan to circulate air inside I would think, attaching it somewhere around the center would be a good choice.  Or should I attach it near the top or bottom instead?  Maybe the temp probe on the bottom closer to heat source and the meat probe in meat on top furthest away?  Heck if I know.  That's why I'm on this forum now.  Eventually I'll add a PID and look at the fan modification I saw here on the forum.

Tenpoint5

Laying on the rack next to the meat or suspended under that rack is the best place.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kitchen Commander

Well I'll be darned.  Apparently what I got is the ET-732.  I didn't see the model number on the box, but I saw a review of it on youtube and it's the exact same one I got. 

Shall I wait till this weekend to smoke something???  I'm pretty anxious to put it to a test.