Pork belly skin

Started by oakville smoker, December 05, 2009, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

OK
I  never thought Iwould have a second career as a butcher but I just skinned 20 pounds of pork belly and by the end I was almost competent at it LOL   probably would have taken a butcher one verse of a country song and it took me an entire double album !

So I am thinking what am I going to do with all this skin?
Any suggstions?  Seems like a waste to toss it in the bin
must be some kind of use for it even f it does not involve the smoker
for now I will stash it in the friggerator
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

FLBentRider

Do you have a Deep fryer ?

Pork rinds!

Or tan it and make a football.  ;D

I didn't take it off mine until after I smoked it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ronbeaux

Cut it into little squares and fry them.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

oakville smoker

So deep fryng is the way to go ?
I did not think the cure would penetrate the skin so thats why I took it off

How long will they keep after deep frying ?
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

ronbeaux

I can't answer that one. Cracklins don't last long enough to spoil around here.

oakville smoker

Well they went in the deep fryer, the yield was not much damn they taste good
No waste and my butchering skils are even more improved !

Tenpoint5

Quote from: oakville smoker on December 05, 2009, 05:29:35 PM
Well they went in the deep fryer, the yield was not much damn they taste good
No waste and my butchering skils are even more improved !

So what are you going to do with the leftovers you mentioned earlier??? Or did they magically go the way of the buffalo!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dbondy

Asked my wife if she wanted some cracklins today.Boy did she look at me funny. ;D ;D
She also said I,m spending to much time here, then I said but honey there probally better than chips. ::)
Thats a great idea for the skin off the bellys, next time I,ll keep them. I usually have my butcher take them off. :)

oakville smoker

I forgot about this thread....
I did deep fry the whole load
Came out good but there was leftovers
I intended on putting them in the oven for a blast the next day to crisp them up and got busy with other things
next thing I knew, mould was starting to form on some pieces  ( white round blotches I think was mould ) so I through the leftovers out
I dont think the shelf life is very long and maybe I should have done half day one, refrig'd the balance and chucked them in the fryer the next day

Live and learn

ronbeaux

Dem tings are addicting no? Toss dem around in some cajun seasonings as soon as dey come out de grease.