Glad to finally post

Started by DoYouSmellSmoke?, July 19, 2011, 08:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoYouSmellSmoke?

Hello all! I just got my OBS a few days ago, but I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks. Kind of been taking a crash course in smoking with a Bradley, benefiting from your collective knowledge. All of the posts that I've read have been amazingly informative and helpful. I appreciate it, and thank you.

I've used my OBS nearly every day since purchase with very satisfying results. I started out by smoking a whole chicken. I brined it for 4 hours and then into the smoker for 4 hours at 250 F, with 2 hours of pecan bisquettes. WOW!!! A beautiful golden brown finish,and the most flavorful, moist poultry I've ever tasted (although the skin had an awful flavor- not sure why). Now, I'm slightly offended that the deli counter at the local grocery store has the nerve to call their Smoked Turkey "Smoked". My eyes have been opened!

Next, I tried a rack of baby backs with hickory bisquettes. A revelation! On my first try, I produced the best ribs I've ever eaten. (I think that this is more of an indictment of the local rib joints than a testament to my smoking skills. After all, I don't have any smoking skills yet. I do notice that whenever I visit or drive past the local joints, I never see or smell any smoke. Hmmm. They're probably boilin' 'em!)

In short, like all of you, I am absolutely sold on the Bradley Smoker and look forward to reading your advice and tips, and am so glad to have found this forum. Cheers.

KyNola

DYSS,
Welcome to the forum!  Sounds like you really hit the ground running. Congrats on your great success so far.

DTAggie

Reel him in.  Hooked another!

KyNola

DoYouSmellSmoke?

Thanks for that, but just got a healthy dose of humility. I think I fell flat on my face and WAAAY oversmoked some Tillamook cheddar. Smells like it was salvaged from a house fire. I'll know for sure in a week or two. But it's all good. Now I know what not to do. Plus, I'm havin' fun.

classicrockgriller

Welcome and FYI, smoked cheese needs to be sealed anywhere from 21 days

to as long as you can stand it.

Smoked cheese is the Bombs in the Bradley.

I love it.

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum DYSS. You are know different than most who come here. I was a lurker for 6 months before I got my smoker.
Your cheese will be fine trust me. But you may want to wait for 4 to 6 weeks before you try it. Age is our best friend when it comes to cheese.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DoYouSmellSmoke?

Thanks, you two. After reading your posts, I've stashed it in the back of the refrigerator and am trying to forget it's there.

Quarlow

Use the force Luke. You must look deep within you not to devour it to soon. May the force be with you.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

DoYouSmellSmoke?

"Smoked the cheese is, resist you must."

"Yes, Master, but what if I don't have the strength?"

"You must! Or fail you will!"

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DoYouSmellSmoke? on July 19, 2011, 10:25:40 PM
"Smoked the cheese is, resist you must."

"Yes, Master, but what if I don't have the strength?"

"You must! Or fail you will!"

If you feel you must try the cheese ...........

find a friend that smokes and lick their ash tray ...

then you will wait on the aging of the cheese.

Quarlow

I think you will fit in here just fine. And Sonny's analogy about the ashtray licking is true so that may help to keep you out till it is time.

OBS
BBQ

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

DoYouSmellSmoke?

Ohhh! I totally get it! It kinda smelled like an ashtray, too. I gave it 3 hours of cold pecan smoke. I'm thinking that it was probably too much, but I was looking for a significant change in color, and I certainly got it. I placed a foil tray filled with ice in the bottom of the smoke tower, but the OT crept up to close to 100F, so I put another ice filled tray in the center of the tower, and that kept temperature down to about 88-90F for the duration of the smoke. I used a Polder timer/thermometer with a wired probe dropped through the vent. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it's all I have today. I have an Auber PID on the way and am planning to get a Maverick wireless in the near future, so I'm getting close to a good setup. I also plan to get a Bradley cold smoke adapter, but I'll probably hold off until next summer. Because I live in Alaska, cold smoking will be a piece of cake in just a few months.

Caribou

Welcome to the forum,
We're glad you're finally posting, too :)
Carolyn