PICKLED HEART [WE HAD PICKLEMANIA AT WORK TODAY]

Started by pikeman_95, February 24, 2011, 10:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

6-8 deer hearts depending on the size. The two beef hearts [one large and one medium in size] filled the gallon tight. This is after taking all the fat and funny stuff on the inside off of the hearts. I use just the heart muscle meat.

OU812

Thanks again.

Between me and the kids we put at least 8 deer in the freezer each year.

mjdeez

Quote from: pikeman_95 on February 25, 2011, 08:39:26 AM
You bet. We have a sportsmans dinner with our churches men's group. I do up a gallon of pickled deer heart and they slick it up every year. I collect them from my deer and have some friends save theirs for me. They are great. I have one guy that makes sure that he checks for any leftovers as he likes to take it home.  I think I have about 8 deer hearts in the freezer.
Kirby

How do you care for the heart when you dress the deer? Do you flush it in salt water a few times when you get it back home?  3x30 minute soaks is what I've heard but I was wondering if everyone does this.

pikeman_95

Quote from: mjdeez on February 25, 2011, 04:35:15 PM
You bet. We have a sportsmans dinner with our churches men's group. I do up a gallon of pickled deer heart and they slick it up every year. I collect them from my deer and have some friends save theirs for me. They are great. I have one guy that makes sure that he checks for any leftovers as he likes to take it home.  I think I have about 8 deer hearts in the freezer.
Kirby

How do you care for the heart when you dress the deer? Do you flush it in salt water a few times when you get it back home?  3x30 minute soaks is what I've heard but I was wondering if everyone does this.

The heart does not have a strong venison taste. I wash them well with cold water and clean out any blood out of the chambers. Then I zip lock them for the freezer. When I get ready to process them, I trim all the outside fat off and clean out the inside surfaces that have the fibrous surfaces. When I am done you have just the heart muscle. Then I add a little salt to the water and boil them for at least an hour. I then cool them well and 1/4 angle slice them [not with the grain and not against the grain] Microwave the onions until they start to turn clear. They take on the brine better that way. Place the meat and the onions in the jar in layers  and put in the dry spices and the brine. refrigerate and stir a couple of times in the next week. With the vinegar sugar pickle they last a long time in the fridge.

Kirby

mjdeez

Quote from: pikeman_95 on February 25, 2011, 04:51:57 PM
Quote from: mjdeez on February 25, 2011, 04:35:15 PM
Kirby

The heart does not have a strong venison taste. I wash them well with cold water and clean out any blood out of the chambers. Then I zip lock them for the freezer. When I get ready to process them, I trim all the outside fat off and clean out the inside surfaces that have the fibrous surfaces. When I am done you have just the heart muscle. Then I add a little salt to the water and boil them for at least an hour. I then cool them well and 1/4 angle slice them [not with the grain and not against the grain] Microwave the onions until they start to turn clear. They take on the brine better that way. Place the meat and the onions in the jar in layers  and put in the dry spices and the brine. refrigerate and stir a couple of times in the next week. With the vinegar sugar pickle they last a long time in the fridge.

Kirby

Cool thanks.  I just heard back from my friend that raises heifers and she's got four or five beef hearts in the freezer so I'm gonna make this. Next year, if I can shoot anything, I'll make it w/ venison.

pikeman_95

Rick MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD

Well the time is up and it is ready. Nice and chewy and tasting like it should. You have to have a slice of onion on top then slam it down.

Gizmo

Quote from: pikeman_95 on February 25, 2011, 07:20:20 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 25, 2011, 05:18:21 AM
Ummmm

I dont know if i could eat heart :o

Rick I have no doubt you could eat this. Is there anything you haven't tried to smoke.

Yes, there are things he hasn't smoked like     SNAILS   ;D
Or at lease not eaten smoked ones.  He did try one in garlic butter.

If you don't remember it kind of looked like this.
Sorry for the painful memory NePa.

I am sure that was the last one that ever made it over the gums.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

OU812

Quote from: pikeman_95 on March 02, 2011, 08:46:46 PM
Rick MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD

Well the time is up and it is ready. Nice and chewy and tasting like it should. You have to have a slice of onion on top then slam it down.

I'd down that.

pikeman_95

Well we put to gether a very unusual lunch today at work. I made the pickled heart, hot pickled carrots, salad and summer sausage. My friend make the pickled tongue and we made the pickled goose together. My wife made the pickled beets. I made my special deviled egg potato salad. The guys kind of scratched their head when they showed up but after getting into it they found everything great. Our safety lady just rolled her eyes and said no way. We did have some outside guest that participated and loved it.

If we can catch it we can pickle it.

Tenpoint5

Looks like a great lunch. Think about what is missing then it hit me your at work so A beer would have been missing. I likes my tater salad can you tell the recipe hounds more about this thing you call Deviled Egg potato Salad?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pikeman_95

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 05, 2011, 03:17:05 AM
Looks like a great lunch. Think about what is missing then it hit me your at work so A beer would have been missing. I likes my tater salad can you tell the recipe hounds more about this thing you call Deviled Egg potato Salad?

Yea they kind of frown on popping a top at work. I am like Tenpoint and love my tater salad. I learned this salad from a 97 year old lady and it is the best. Tenpoint please feel free to stick this in the forum recipe site. I have never done that so you might do it if you like.

DEVILED EGG POTATO SALAD
2-2.5 QUARTS....... Of steamed and well cooled red potatoes [cooling the potatoes
                         over night in the fridge will leather them up and keep your    
                         salad from becoming mealy.]
2 CUPS ................Salad dressing [Like Mirracle whip]
2 Heaping Tbs ....Durkies Sauce [this is a dry mustard sauce see recipe below for this.]
4 Heaping Tbs..sweet pickle relish
1 1/2 Cup ................chopped dill pickle
3/4... large sweet onion...chopped up fine.
1 tsp ground pepper
½ tsp salt
1 Tbs of cracked black pepper.
9 hard boiled eggs... separate yolks from whites. Chop up the whites and add them
to the cut up potatoes.
Mash and cream the yolks with one half cup of the salad dressing. Then mix in the rest
of the salad dressing and all the other ingredients. After they are well mixed pour
over the potatoes and the egg whites and mix well. This salad is better if it can sit in
the fridge over night and merry. The idea of mashing the yolks is to spread their
flavor over all of the salad. Hence the name DEVILED EGG POTATO SALAD

DURKEES SAUSE [DRY MUSTARD SAUSE]
First day [2 oz's of Dry Mustard with ½ cup of white vinegar]
2ND Day add 1/2 cup sugar to the first mixture. Beat it will and bring the mixture to
a light boil in the microwave.  
Let cool and add 1 pint of Mayonnaise.
This dressing adds the kick to the above Potato salad and is fantastic on cold turkey sandwiches.
Keep it in mind for after Thanksgiving.

Kirby

squirtthecat

classicrockgriller

Snatch the recipe for the deviled egg potato salad.

Thanks Kirby, looks interesting.

squirtthecat

I'm thinking Baconaise in that mustard sauce..

pikeman_95

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 05, 2011, 08:46:34 AM

I'm thinking Baconaise in that mustard sauce..

Could be, I know that the one that My recipe copies is called Durkees sauce but there probably are others. This is a commercially produced sauce. We were just glad to find a way to make our own.