How much meat

Started by BAM1, June 02, 2013, 09:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAM1

I'll be supplying the pulled pork for our neighborhood party next Saturday and would like some opinions on how many butts/pounds I'll need for 60 adults.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

GusRobin

Depends on what other stuff is being served, but I usually start with 3/4 to 1 lb per person (raw weight). I think most others go 1/2 lb. But I like the leftovers and others like to take some home.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Ka Honu

Start with one pound raw weight per person.  That will give you 30-35 pounds of product which gives you about 8-9.5 ounces per person.  Most will eat 4-6 ounces with a few having more.  Should be plenty and might even leave you a bit of leftovers.

beefmann

id go with 1 lb raw weight , and go for pulled pork along  with some fixings... such as vegies, salads etc

FLBentRider

I also use the 1lb raw /person calculation.

It also helps to know what demographics you are feeding. Lumberjacks or church ladies...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Survey says!........ 1 lb/raw weight per person. :)

glwood006

Is that raw weight with bone in or out?  Just curious? Good info to have on hand. Thanks guys.

Ka Honu

KyNola

With all respect to my friend Paul, I don't think bone-in or boneless matters much as the bone weighs very little and is not going to have much of an impact on the ratio.

Ka Honu

I defer to KyNola's experience - I don't buy bone-in butts very often because where I shop they're not as prevalent and usually not priced as well.

glwood006

Thanks guys. Bone in here in Southern Ontario is the norm.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on June 03, 2013, 08:03:40 AM
With all respect to my friend Paul, I don't think bone-in or boneless matters much as the bone weighs very little and is not going to have much of an impact on the ratio.

Insert stick into hornets nest rattle it around and run like hell!

Bone in makes it have better flavor than what you get with a boneless butt
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BAM1

Only buy bone in for pulled pork.  Sam's carries bone in and Costco carries boneless.  I use my Costco butts for grinding.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

Ka Honu

More flavor with bone-in or boneless?  There's no real evidence either way and no one will ever answer the question to anyone else's satisfaction.  Best advantage of bone-in is probably using it for soup later.

glwood006

What does the bone do in the soup?  Does it add flavor?