Smoking in the Winter

Started by SmokeyDrew, January 21, 2011, 06:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schneep

I will start mine about an hour early, but won't advance any pucks until ready to load my items.  That way everything is warmned up and ready to go.
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

jimmyb

I recently read some posts about the Auber PIDs not working properly in colder temps if you use one.

watchdog56

I have had my PID over 1 year now and it has seen temps down to zero in Minnesota. Smoke in the garage and have not had a problem.

bears fan

I have definately had issues with my dual probe PID when it gets really cold.  As long as you can keep the temp probe and the meat probe above that 32 degree mark, then you are fine and it works great.  But, I've tried it when it was 0 degrees and had all kinds of issues until I realized the PID doesn't recognize such low temperatures.  I've just been not using the PID when it's so cold because of the issues it creates.  I'm sure others have had the problem as well.

squirtthecat

You'll want to keep/bring the probes inside during the frigid weather.  Plug them in when you have a pan of hot water in the bottom of the smoker, and they will stay above 32° and keep the Auber happy.