Muebe Nuggets

Started by Thomas DeWitt, December 20, 2011, 10:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas DeWitt

OK, so my wife loves Teriyaki beef jerky.  She asked me to make some for her.  I saw the Muebe nuggets and thought that would be perfect.  So I bought some Costco Stew meat, 5 pounds.  Cut it basically in 3rds and added 1 bottle of Sory Veri Veri and some Cayenne pepper and one teaspoon of cure #1.  Now it is in the Reveo for 40 minutes. my question is this.  Tomorrow, should I smoke it on Hickory for 2 hours or go straight to the dehydrator.  My wife is not a huge smoke fan and this is for her.  How much better is the smoker version VS the straight dehydrator.  Just wondering as i don't want to do all the work of smoking if I am just wasting my time.

Love you guys,
Tom
Spent many years home brewing.  Now taking my passion to Smoking and Barbequing.

squirtthecat

Maybe hit it with 1 or 2 pucks of smoke for flavor, then into the dehydrator..

muebe

I have tried them with and without smoke and there is a difference to me. Like squirt said you might want to at least give them a puck or two of smoke. You can also use a lighter wood like Apple ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Thomas DeWitt

Ok. Went with the normal recipe and smoke then dehydrator. They are still dehydrating at 150.  Any good way to tell when they are done. Besides eating them !

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.079692,-117.278033
Spent many years home brewing.  Now taking my passion to Smoking and Barbequing.

pikeman_95

Thomas
If your wife likes Teriyaki beef jerky give the ground beef jerky a try. I found that 3.3-3.5 oz  Soy Vey per pound and about 3.5 tbs crushed red pepper per 10 pounds makes a great Teriyaiki jerky. I used 1 tsp. Cure # 1 / 5 pounds. I loved the simplicity and the excellent taste. Smoke for about 1-2 hrs and head for the dehydrator once the meat has started to get a little brown color.
by the way the nuggets look great.

Kirby

jjmoney

Quote from: pikeman_95 on December 21, 2011, 04:24:27 PM

Thomas
If your wife likes Teriyaki beef jerky give the ground beef jerky a try. I found that 3.3-3.5 oz  Soy Vey per pound and about 3.5 tbs crushed red pepper per 10 pounds makes a great Teriyaiki jerky. I used 1 tsp. Cure # 1 / 5 pounds. I loved the simplicity and the excellent taste. Smoke for about 1-2 hrs and head for the dehydrator once the meat has started to get a little brown color.
by the way the nuggets look great.

Kirby

Man, that looks good. Smoke for 1 to 2 hours at 170, dry at 150?

Sailor

jjmoney, I don't have a dehydrator so I do all of my GB jerky in the OBS.  I set the temp for 150 and roll the smoke.  Personally I like lots of smoke and put 2 hrs of Hickory to them.  I keept the cabinet temp at 150 the entire time.  Rotate the racks top to bottom and front to back.  Takes about 6 hrs to get them where they will bend and not break.  I do have a fan kit in my OBS so that speeds the drying process up.  Kirby's recipe for muebe GB jerky is spot on.  Good luck and we like pictures.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

mikecorn.1

Those look great.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

jjmoney

Quote from: Sailor on December 30, 2012, 06:35:13 AM
jjmoney, I don't have a dehydrator so I do all of my GB jerky in the OBS.  I set the temp for 150 and roll the smoke.  Personally I like lots of smoke and put 2 hrs of Hickory to them.  I keept the cabinet temp at 150 the entire time.  Rotate the racks top to bottom and front to back.  Takes about 6 hrs to get them where they will bend and not break.  I do have a fan kit in my OBS so that speeds the drying process up.  Kirby's recipe for muebe GB jerky is spot on.  Good luck and we like pictures.

Alright, my first batch of muscle is juuust about done dehydrating, GB isn't far off, and I'll post some pics somewhere. Great advice here. Thanks.