No longer a Dry-Aged Virgin

Started by Caneyscud, October 05, 2010, 03:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Since my weekend was a bachelor weekend - I was able to do stuff I would not normally do - and this one was hard to do.  I had to pry my stingy fingers from around my wallet and pull out some dusty green stuff for some $25.00 per lb steak.  Had a wild hair (at least for me) and went to Whole Paycheck and anted up for a dry aged T-bone.  You notice, it wasn't the thickest in the bunch - not at $25.00 per pound.  Did I mention it was $25.00 per pound?  Also picked up a variety of mushrooms.  Simple S & P on the steak - had to honor it's flavor - I remind you it was $25.00 per pound.  Simple treatment on the mushrooms - sauted in goat butter and S & P.  Oh, and don't forget the two tiny lobster tails - I've used bigger shrimp for bait - but they didn't cost much, but the steak did - $25.00 per pound.  The steak and tails got put on the block and refrigerator shelf grill over dead fall mulberry limbs.  Did not seem quite the fitting grill for $25.00 per pound steak, but que sera'.  The steak was $25.00 per pound.  Actually got a little more done than anticipated, a $25.00 per pound steak should not be overcooked - it would hurt it's self-esteem - it is by the way a $25.00 per pound dry-aged steak!  Finished off the lobster with goat butter - but not the $25.00 per pound steak - it had to stand on it's own.  And boy did it!  That thing was outta this world.  Almost fell to my knees good!  Almost made me feel guilty I was left at home while my wife and daughter were on the Outer Banks at Kill Devil Hill --- NOT!  The mushrooms were very good, the lobster - take it or leave it - but the $25.00 per pound steak, I had to say was probably worth the extra $10.00 to $15.00 per pound.  AWESOME!!!!  And it was healthy to boot - you know low-carb!   ;D ;D

The Aftermath

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Up In Smoke

Wow What a plate!, i know the lobster was a little pricey and the mushrooms can get high :D from time to time, but what would one expect to pay for a carefully dry aged T bone steak like that??
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Tenpoint5

Caney How much DID that dry aged steak cost you??

I know i would have looked like that tail in the last pic after eating a good meal like that. All curled up and shivering like a dying cockroach!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

I must have missed it.  How much per pound was it  ??? ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Nice looking meal.

I won't ask how much it weighed.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Wow!  WHAT brand of knife is that?  Looks pricey..

Caneyscud

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 05, 2010, 04:32:51 PM

Wow!  WHAT brand of knife is that?  Looks pricey..
Thanks guys, I've got wet eyes laughing so hard! 

Henkel Twin Paring knife that has been sharpened a few times.  It did not cost as much as the steak.  Maybe that is what is making me wet-eyed!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

hal4uk

Dang you Caney!  Now I gotta thaw out some PRIME FILETS!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Up In Smoke

Quote from: hal4uk on October 05, 2010, 04:38:21 PM
Dang you Caney!  Now I gotta thaw out some PRIME FILETS!
You Froze Prime Filets????? SHAME on you, they are ruined.....just send them to me and i guess i will cook them in the microwave  :o
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

DTAggie

I didn't catch what you paid for that meat.  Could you PM the cost please?

SouthernSmoked

Dang Caney, you made me hungry... again!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KevinG

Caney, I am a steak guy through and through, but I've got to tell you I WOULD NEVER PAY $25.00 FOR A STEAK! I hope it was worth it, cause that was gas for 8 days for me on my motorcycle.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

TestRocket

Good looking plate of food! Was if good enough to do it again?  ;D

hal4uk

Quote from: KevinG on October 06, 2010, 10:01:35 AM
I WOULD NEVER PAY $25.00 FOR A STEAK!
Heck, I would (and more!)...  In a steak house, you only get a "pretty good" steak for $25. 
I'd rather have a GREAT STEAK at home.  Yeah, it could be an expensive habit, but I'd rather have a fantastic steak once in a while than to have cheap steak 3 times a week. 

This ain't no dress rehearsal.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby