All Beef Snack Sticks

Started by NePaSmoKer, May 07, 2009, 06:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

My neighbor wanted some snack sticks for saturday. I said you buy the meat I make the sticks. This is 5lbs of 85/15 GB seasoned and stuffed into 19mm collagen casings. Resting in fridge overnite then in the morning going to get 1 hour of hickory smoke @130*. Then going to 145* for 3 hours with hickory smoke, Taken to 165* for 3 hours no smoke. I should be taking to 170* until the IT  of the sticks are @ 152-155*

nepas

Smokin Soon

Nepa, what size stuffing tube for the 19mm casings? I did some last week and had one heck of a time loading the casings. Also Who's casings are you using now?

Tenpoint5

SS, I'm with you on the stuffing tube. Always have to load the collagen casing by hand like natural. I have been meaning to ask Nepas where he got that little chrome one he has. Figured he got it at Cabela's just haven't made the 2 hour drive up there to see.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smokin Soon on May 07, 2009, 07:31:02 PM
Nepa, what size stuffing tube for the 19mm casings? I did some last week and had one heck of a time loading the casings. Also Who's casings are you using now?

S Soon & 10.5

I use a 3/8" OD tube from LEM. Its about 7.5" long. The 17 and 19mm casings work real good with it. The casings i am using now are from LEM also. Not bad but i still like ask the meat mans casings and psseasoings.

The LEM tube comes in the 5, 10 and 20lb size.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Here are the beef sticks in the smoker. Smoker just getting to 145*

I am not using my v-tray. Notice i have put hickory pellets ontop of the puck, this will give me more smoke.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Good mild weather makes a difference here. I did this 5lbs in just under 5 hours. The IT of the sticks was at 153* when i pulled em. Cooled off at room temp and all cut up. Had a few air pockets in the collagen but its all good  ;D

My neighbor is going to be a happy camper tonite  ;D 

nepas

OU812

Those look just like mine how did you find my stash

Tenpoint5

Another Great looking batch Nepas. Thanks on the heads up about where to get the stuffing tube.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on May 08, 2009, 10:56:21 AM
Those look just like mine how did you find my stash

Ahhh grasshopper. Its a secret  :D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 08, 2009, 10:56:57 AM
Another Great looking batch Nepas. Thanks on the heads up about where to get the stuffing tube.

Thanks 10.5

I think the SS tube was like 10 bux or sumpn like that.

Are you going to do another Iron chef again? I am sorry i didnt do this one, looked fun.

nepas

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 08, 2009, 11:03:02 AM

Thanks 10.5

I think the SS tube was like 10 bux or sumpn like that.

Are you going to do another Iron chef again? I am sorry i didnt do this one, looked fun.

nepas

I'm sure we will do another one. I'm think we should wait until after the Summer Smokeouts. Midwest is in 2 weeks then the NePA is 2 weeks after that. I know I didn't get many votes but I sure did have a good time with it!

OU812

I'm just throwing this out there but i shoot the sticks out in one long stick then cut to length with a sharp knife. The meat don't fall out or get hard eather.

It cut prossing time in half. I'm just saying this works for me, and with all the softball games my daughter has we go through alot of sticks and jerky.

smokeitall

I will post some pics of my stuffing tubes later tonight, I had them custom made.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: smokeitall on May 08, 2009, 12:18:06 PM

I will post some pics of my stuffing tubes later tonight, I had them custom made.

Cool

I would like to see them

nepas

smokeitall

Here are my stuffing tubes.  The plastic one came from Grizzly with the stuffer and is a pain in the a** when using 21mm Collagen casings (I have two larger plastic tubes that came with the stuffer also).  The one on the opposite side I purchased from Bass Pro and is 3/8" OD, this one works ok but is not long enough to put a whole strand of Collagen casings on it.  The three in the middle I had made by a couple of buddies I know that are great at making just about anything.  Sizes 3/8", 7/16", and 1/2" and they are about 12" long.