Smoking first brisket in new DBS

Started by huskerfarmer, December 30, 2007, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskerfarmer

Hey guys,

I'm going to smoke my first brisket in the new DBS any advice would be appreciated.  Temp to cook at aproxx time (9 lber) mops etc.

chevyman

First off let me say Welcome....I would start off with an hour to hour and a half per pound. You can also take it to about 190* IT and then FTC it. I personaly use misquite to smoke with. Hope this helps out a little.
When in doubt........give it more COWBELL!!!!

Smoking Duck

Welcome Husker,

I would work off of what Chevy has stated as a guide but realize that there are a lot of variables when smoking (ambient temp, wind, fat content in meat, temp you smoke at, etc).  I always try to plan my smokes on briskets with a 5 hour window.  In other words, if I want to eat at 6, I smoke it so that I think it'll get done at 1.  This gives me 5 hours of FTC if I hit my window or it gives me some leeway time if I'm off.

My last brisket was a 6 lber and it took about 16 hours at 210* to get to an IT of 190.  I assume you're in Nebraska where it's cold this time of year and you'll probably be somewhere around the same temps I'm at in Indiana.

What you'll generally find is that most don't like to give a time on smokes because there are so many things that affect the time of a smoke.  But what you will find here is a bunch of great people who will help you out with just about anything you may have a question for and as the official stupid question asker of the forum, there really aren't any stupid questions.  Everyone has been a new Bradley owner at one point or another and has had the same questions we all have.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with the brisket.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Ontrack

Welcome to the forum, Husker. Regarding the brisket, I always try to find one in the 7-9 pound range-I seem to have better luck with them than any other size, for whatever reason. I shoot for a cab temp of 210, but 10 degrees in either direction shouldn't make much difference. Usually give 3-4 hours of smoke, then change the water in the bowl. I start spritzing with apple juice at this time, then every hour or so after that. I pull from the Bradley at 190, then FTC for at least 2 hours, more if I can stand the wait. This is one of several methods for cooking brisket mentioned on this forum, and it's my favorite. I haven't  done one that I didn't love, and 12-13 hours is the longest it ever took me to get to 190, that was with no wind and temps in the 30's. Good luck!

chevyman

You came to the right place Huskerfarmer......Lots of people here with a ton of good info. And the best part is that they will share it. The info that i gave you is a very easy answer to a hard question. But just as theese great guys said there are sooooo many different things that can effect cook times. That is a great idea that Smoked Duck had about the 5 hour window. The best way that i have learned is to just try different things, temps,cook times and FTC times and find out what gives you the result that your lookin for. Anyways hope your Brisket turns out good and dont forget to post pics!!!
When in doubt........give it more COWBELL!!!!