MTQ

Started by slider, March 17, 2010, 10:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

I just used 1 1/2 Tbls per pound of MTQ in my Andouille and it is way to salty if I reduce that to 1 Tbls per pound will that be enough to cure the meat? And where can I buy the #1 cure. Thanks

FLBentRider

IMHO that is too much per lb for sausage.

I use 1T per/lb for a dry cure.

I get my Cure#1 from Allied Kenco - I would check a local sausage supply place.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

slider

I live in the sticks we do not have any supply store here. I will have to order it. Thanks  Yea and my Andouille is going to be to salty its in the smoker now about 2 hours to go. I have another batch in the frig that I will have to add more meat and spice to to get that salt down. Its my first time so I am learning..but I like it.

Habanero Smoker

The amount you should have used is 1 1/2 teaspoons per pound. That is the amount Morton states to use in sausage making.

It you use it at that rate, the salt is about the same as sausage recipes using cure #1.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

slider

Thanks for the links... I ordered the #1 cure, a book, a dvd and casings.
The Andouille turned out salty but I can use it for cooking. I have another batch started...

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: slider on March 17, 2010, 06:20:02 PM
Thanks for the links... I ordered the #1 cure, a book, a dvd and casings.
The Andouille turned out salty but I can use it for cooking. I have another batch started...

Dont be afraid to ask questions. Lots of good info and tips here.

slider

This is the Andouille that I made. I have to put a more accurate thermostate on my smoker in order to hold a more consistant temp.

wischermit

I'm also in the sticks (really trees).. & am really limited as to where to get some of this stuff. I've gotten quite a bit from www.psseasoning.com & their customer service people are quite helpful.