brats & kransky sausages

Started by sprightlyone, February 15, 2013, 11:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprightlyone

i have a couple of commercial kits
are brats & kransjy sausages pork or beef dominant in a blend     ie pork with sml beef added or beef with sml pork added
or doesn`t it matter with way you blend
what spice variations can i consider
lyle

Keymaster

My Brat recipe calls for 3 # Pork, 1# Beef and 1 # pork back fat.

ratherbboating

my last fresh brats, I used 4# pork and 1# pork fat.  Came out good.  About out so I will be looking to make some more before long.  But with no college football on, the demand for brats goes down.  They just taste better watching football on TV, eating a brat and drinking a cold one.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Tenpoint5

Last commercial kit I had. I used 25 pounds of Boston Butts, 5 cans of beer and 3 pounds of shredded mozzarella cheese
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 16, 2013, 08:03:24 AM
Last commercial kit I had. I used 25 pounds of Boston Butts, 5 cans of beer and 3 pounds of shredded mozzarella cheese

drunken brats??

OU812

Quote from: beefmann on February 16, 2013, 02:44:01 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 16, 2013, 08:03:24 AM

drunken brats??

I poach my brats in beer then finish on the grill  ;D

When makin brats I use the pork buts with the most fat on them,,,,,,,,100% pork

drano

I believe authentic brats are pork and veal.  But we can make them any way we want.
I make them with 100% bone-in pork butts.  I've found that boneless butts seem to have less fat on them. 
Pork is cheaper, so it helps with the cost. 
And we like em that way. ;)

sprightlyone

hi all
  is there any reason i can`t make beef instead of pork  kransky & brats     with beef the dominant & pork minor in blend
lyl e

Tenpoint5

Quote from: sprightlyone on February 16, 2013, 07:03:02 PM
hi all
  is there any reason i can`t make beef instead of pork  kransky & brats     with beef the dominant & pork minor in blend
lyl e

Nope use what you like. I would suggest making smaller batch sizes just in case an all beef brat really doesn't float your boat.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!