Pork Shoulder & Apple Wood?

Started by weekendsmoker, January 14, 2008, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoker

Hi, going for round two on cooking a pork shoulder Thursday night.  I have my mustard and rub all ready to go.  Has anyone tried the apple wood?  I have read lots where Hickory was used, I'm down to Maple & Apple and was wondering what the better choice would be.

Thanks.

WESmoker.

(thanks for the short form KYNOLA)

Mr Walleye

I use apple all the time on pork butts. One of my favorites.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

I like apple on pork as well.  Can't comment on Maple as I haven't purchase any of that yet.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I've used maple and that is good. I know you don't have pecan right now, but pecan is fast becoming my favorite wood for pork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jakomatic20

hello i just did a pork shoulder this past weekend i used a combination of hickory and apple. by alternating the pucks apple, hickory, apple, hickory and so on. it turned out great and i will do this method again

bigredsmoker

I did 2 butts a few weeks ago, my first, and used 2 apple, one hickory rotation for a 4 hour smoke and It was the best I have ever tasted. My wife loved it as well. I have 2 butts in the fridge now that I will probably do this weekend and will use the same combo. And don't forget the adult beverage while keeping an eye on the smoker  ;) .Hope that helps. Cheers!

Terry

Wildcat

I use apple wood and juice on butts all the time.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

On pork I like apple, pecan, maple, or a combination of them.  sometimes I'll combine with hickory.  You'll like apple. 
Consiglieri

MoSmoke

On butts I like hickory and apple with a ratio of 1 hickory to 2 apple for a 3 to 4 hour smoke depending on the butt size.

John
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

Artmiester

Used 4hrs. of apple on 6 racks of ribs, a couple of fattys, some pig candy, and a ring of kilbasa for the SBowl this weekend. Usually use cherry but I was out. Loved it. Best Super Bowl game I ever watched too. ;D ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

hillbillysmoker

I use both apple and maple but maple has become my favorite. Either will produce amazing results.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Consiglieri

These days, there's always some apple mixed in on a pork smoke.  I like maple too.  I really like pecan too.  Before I picked up the Bradley, I used to smoke everything with almond wood; pecan is very similar.  I think you'll like it if you give it a try. 
Consiglieri