Gravy when smoking a turkey

Started by jdallinger, November 21, 2009, 06:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdallinger

When I smoke my turkey this year, this is the first time I have not also roasted one.  I love having some gravy with my dressing and potates.  What is the best way to have or make gravy when you smoke the turkey?

FLBentRider

We either use gravy from a mix or do two birds. One smoked and one in the oven for gravy.

This year I am going to try to put a foil pan under the bird in the smoker and see if I can catch enough drippings to make smokey gravy.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Savannahsmoker

I will be waiting to see how this smoked gravy works out and I hope it does.

Ka Honu

It may not do you much good this year but I always try to stay at least "one turkey ahead" of the game by making stock from the carcass and freezing half to use for gravy on the next one (The other half sometimes goes for gravy but more often in my next pot of gumbo).  I usually add the drippings to the stock before freezing and then make gravy whenever I want by adding some wine, roux, and seasonings.

jaredpost

I'm gonna smoke my turkey for a few hours and then finish in TBE so the drippings will be caught in the tray at the bottom. I'm sure you could put a small pan under the bird in the smoker though and catch the drippings that way.

Savannahsmoker

I tried a pan under the turkey and I sure did not want gravy out of what was in there.  While in the big easy after smoking I did not get enough dripping to make gravy.  My wife does like Ka Honu does and that is to keep left overs for stock for gravy whenever.

Ka Honu

One basic characteristic of any low & slow cooking method is that (unless the meat is sealed) more of the moisture is retained and you don't get nearly as much drippings as you would cooking at a higher temperature.  This "trade-off" can be a problem for gravy aficionados but we learn to cope.

Habanero Smoker

If you smoke/cook the turkey horizontally, a lot of juices are trapped inside the cavity. Take it from someone how has gotten a few burnt legs and feet. :) Now I move the rack carefully out and place the rack with the bird on a cookie sheet then carry it in.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

A few weeks before Thanksgiving I buy some wings/thighs/legs (whatever I can find) and throw them in a roasting pan with some roughly chopped celery, carrots, onions and a few garlic cloves. Add salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary& sage.   I roast these for 45 minutes to an hour and then make stock out of them.  In the fridge overnight, skim off the fat and then freeze until thanksgiving.

This year I was going to smoke the turkey before roasting but the weather didn't cooperate :(

This way there is always plenty of gravy for dinner and leftovers.  I also use some of the stock in my stuffing.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 21, 2009, 01:16:52 PM
  This "trade-off" can be a problem for gravy aficionados but we learn to cope.

They want something to put on their mashed potatoes. The smoked Turkey is is juicy enough to not "need" gravy.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

I'm gonna try the same route as jared. 
I'll cold smoke for maybe 1:20 hours (brined over night) and then transfer to TBE.  I got some new foil trays to go into the drip tray today.  Probably get some good 'juice'.

I got a top round roast today so I'll practice on it tomorrow.  I'm still getting used to TBE.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Savannahsmoker

ArnieM I smoked the last turkey for to 120 degrees internal temperature and it took a little over 3 hours smoking at 180.  Transfer it to the big easy until done.  I was great.  I have posted this before.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12603.msg145403#msg145403

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Savannahsmoker

Got me on that one ArnieM  ;D but the fact is turkey was so good the family said I was great.

KevinG

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 21, 2009, 01:50:08 PM
If you smoke/cook the turkey horizontally, a lot of juices are trapped inside the cavity. Take it from someone how has gotten a few burnt legs and feet. :) Now I move the rack carefully out and place the rack with the bird on a cookie sheet then carry it in.

Good to know, didn't even think about that one!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG