New 4-Rack for Christmas

Started by DTAggie, December 27, 2009, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

Got a new 4-rack for Christmas and am very excited to smoke away.  Did some baby backs and a young turkey the first day.  Both turned out ok for a first try.  Cold smoked a mild and a sharp cheddar block tonight for 2:40.  Had no problem keeping temp between 69 and 71 using hickory.  Have them wrapped tight in fridge now.  Counting down until 10 days to get into them.

Question:  I have a brisket waiting.  How long can you keep one wrapped tight after applying rub before placing in the smoker?  Plan on using a dry rub with no mustard.

Quarlow

Hey DT welcome to the forum. As far as the brisket I can't say as I have never done one, but someone will be along to answer you. As for the cheese 10 days is just about the minimum. Longer is better. I leave mine atleast 2 weeks.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DTAggie

Thanks Quarlow.  What is your favorite cheese and wood?

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum DTAggie . I would smoke it after 24 hours, longer should be OK but that's my choice.

Check out the recipe site. Both WTS and Pachanga have great ideas on briskets. Olds Place

And keep that vent open.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

I have only done one batch so far but I used apple on old aged cheddar,mozzarella and and white cheddar. I smoked for 2 hrs with the temp around 70 degrees. To be honest I was not impressed with any of it. The white and the mozza had no real flavour, the old cheddar had some flavour but I like more. So the next batch will be with my temps up near 80 and it will get 4 or 5 hrs of oak smoke.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

DTAggie

I like heavy smoke flavor in my cheese as well.  Will let you know how it turns out.

classicrockgriller

DTAggie

Quarlow

Well CRG has got another Buddy ya'll ;D ;D

OBS
BBQ

DTAggie

classicrockgriller

And you went to school in College Station?

Quarlow

Ooh, sounds like sonny has maybe met and old acquaintance?

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Quarlow on December 27, 2009, 08:57:06 PM
Ooh, sounds like sonny has maybe met and old acquaintance?

Any body from Texas is Family!

DTAggie

Of course in College Station.  Class of 89.  Heading back down Thursday for New Years with good friends.  Wanted to rub down a brisket before I go to put in the new Bradley Saturday evening when I get back.  Wanting to know how long I can safely leave one rubbed down and wrapped up.

classicrockgriller

Was it a vac pack brisket or has it been frozen?