Freeze ahead ABTs?

Started by Daveo, January 16, 2010, 01:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveo

Got a herd coming for the Superbowl and planning on many ABTs.Has anyone frozen them?If so what works best,before or after smoking?

I figure on having Pulled pork,ribs,stuffed chicken breasts,Jalapeno black eyed peas,smoked cheese,ABTs,home made french fries,home made rolls and bread with roasted garlic butter.

car54

My gut feeling is that the peppers would be very soft after thawing.  It seems that you have a good spread of food. Can I come?

Brad

hal4uk

Did someone say black eyed peas?  ;D

I agree with C54...  might mess up the peppers.
But then again, you have plenty of time to try just one...
Then you would know for sure.

With all that home-made stuff, you need to save some time where you can.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

lumpy

I have smoked/cooked 100 ABT's , vac packed then frozen for a party.

After thawing, I poped them in a toaster oven.

The were great. The bacon seems to protect the pepper from getting too soggy.

Lumpy

pensrock

Made up about 10 dozen last year, cleaned and stuffed but did not wrap with bacon. I put them on a sheet pan and put into the freezer till frozen then vac packed. After thawed the peppers are soft but once wrapped with bacon they are great. Actually the cook time is a little less cause the peppers are already softened.

Northern_Smoke

I was just about to make a post about this haha. I did about 60 or 70 tonight and i have been doing it this way for quite awhile. I stuff the peppers, wrap them in bacon, ramp up my temp to about 280 and smoke for 2 hours. Then i take them out and let them cool. Put them on a pan and freeze and just take out however many we want and put them under the broiler for about 5 min then flip and the bacon crisps up. I haven't had one go soggy or mushy on me yet.

I like doing it this way better anyways cause once you are making a mess with peppers...why not just do a whole bunch and be done with it. Plus i find the smoke really has a chance to mellow out and the flavor gets better...much better. And the absolute best thing about freezing them is you have ABT's any time of the day or night that you might have a craving for them. Which is making me think about popping 3 or 4 in the toaster oven right now :D

Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

lumpy

I like the peppers..........red............we only get green ones up here.
Must have something to do with Agriculture Canada not liking red :D

Lumpy

pensrock

I use my red ones for chipotles. And the green ones for ABT's.

seemore

Don't feel bad, Lumpy.  I don't find red jalapenos here in eastern Iowa either..............
Those peppers look great, by the way!
Mrs.

OU812

I also freeze ABT's with no ill affects.

Cook as always, eat all you can eat then after you are full and laying on the couch like a beached whale try to muster up the energy to freeze whats left, after they are froze I vacuum seal in bags of 8 then when the time comes throw in the toaster oven and reheat.

Northern_Smoke

we find the red ones a lot sweeter tasting than the green. So since the croud has spoken, its what i buy. I can't see the green freezing any differntly though. And pensrock, thats a great idea for chipotles. I am gonna have to try that. What temp and wood do you use?(not to hijack the freezing thread)
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Daveo

Quote from: Northern_Smoke on February 04, 2010, 09:37:07 PM
I was just about to make a post about this haha. I did about 60 or 70 tonight and i have been doing it this way for quite awhile. I stuff the peppers, wrap them in bacon, ramp up my temp to about 280 and smoke for 2 hours. Then i take them out and let them cool. Put them on a pan and freeze and just take out however many we want and put them under the broiler for about 5 min then flip and the bacon crisps up. I haven't had one go soggy or mushy on me yet.

I like doing it this way better anyways cause once you are making a mess with peppers...why not just do a whole bunch and be done with it. Plus i find the smoke really has a chance to mellow out and the flavor gets better...much better. And the absolute best thing about freezing them is you have ABT's any time of the day or night that you might have a craving for them. Which is making me think about popping 3 or 4 in the toaster oven right now :D

Wow that's awesome!I'm drooling from the pics!I let the time get away from me and didn't do the ABTs for the Sbowl,but I think I do a big pile up and freeze them.Thanks for the tip!