Good morning and another newbie joins the ranks

Started by cbh, February 08, 2011, 07:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbh

I just got a OBS as a birthday present for myself.  I've never smoked before and excited to start.  Been reading the forums (lurker) and see a lot of ideas and suggestions. I see I need to season the smoker first.  Then what to smoke?  suggestions?  What is the easiest thing to smoke for myself and my family to enjoy, so my family won't think that I've gone over the edge?

ArnieM

Hi cbh, welcome to the forum and happy birthday!

Chicken is always good to practice on; cheap.  Keep the vent wide open for chicken.  You can 'finish' it on the grill or in the oven to crisp up the skin.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

RAF128

IMO a brisket or pork butt for pulled pork.    Both have recipes on the recipe site that are easy to follow.     Around my place the pulled pork is always a hit.

KyNola

Welcome to the forum cbh!  Lots of good folks here.  Don't be afraid to ask even the simplest of questions.  Everyone here is ready willing and able to help you.  Where are you from?

First thing to smoke, if you don't mind a long process I would do a pork butt for pulled pork.  Very simple to do and pretty foolproof, just takes a while.  If you needed something with a shorter cook time, I would probably go with bacon wrapped chicken breasts.  I will post a recipe site that one of the members maintains especially for the members of this forum.  TONS of great recipes there, including the chicken I mentioned.  Make sure you keep the vent open, especially when you do poultry.  It has a lot of moisture in it and you want that moisture out of your smoker ASAP.  Holding it in will prevent the temp from rising and will collect on the top of your tower and rain this nasty black liquid down on your food and leak out the bottom of your smoker.  Also, shutting the vent down will cause smoke to back up into the smoke generator and effectively destroying it.

Recipe site www.susanminor.org  Enjoy and let us know how we can help!

Edit---sorry guys, you're quicker than me. :D

beefmann

welcome to the forum and happy birthday, there are a lot of good people here that can and will help,  So dont be afraid to ask

TestRocket

Welcome aboard cbh,

Looks like your already getting some good ideas so Happy Birthday and good luck on that first smoke!  ;D

wyoduke

Quote from: TestRocket on February 08, 2011, 07:35:23 AM
Welcome aboard cbh,

Looks like your already getting some good ideas so Happy Birthday and good luck on that first smoke!  ;D

Ill secound that !!!!!!
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

smoker pete

Quote from: wyoduke on February 08, 2011, 07:59:06 AM
Quote from: TestRocket on February 08, 2011, 07:35:23 AM
Welcome aboard cbh,

Ill second that !!!!!!

I'll third that !!!!  Remember, we love pictures.  Chicken is always easy and cheap ;) Vent wide open ... OBS at 250ยบ

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

kinyo

Welcome to the forum!

Chicken is a really good start, but remember 2 hours of smoke max!

Kinyo

aces-n-eights

Welcome and Happy Birthday!  Great present to your self!  These guys got ya goin' - let us know how it goes!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

DTAggie

Welcome cbh.  Personally I think everything is pretty easy in the Bradley.  that said, chicken is a good start but I would sugegst you try pork butt.  It takes a while but very well worth it.

devo

Got my bradley about three weeks ago. The hardest part is gathering all the ingredents. More help here than you need. So far I've done cheese, bacon chicken wrapps, smoked trout and ribs. All came out great. So just jump in to something that tickles your fancy and take your time. remember its slow smoke. I find now not only am I cooking for the family but everyone at work also  ;D

kinyo

Quote from: devo on February 08, 2011, 10:43:50 AM
I find now not only am I cooking for the family but everyone at work also  ;D

I agree with that Devo!

cbh

I cooked a chicken this weekend using the "beer can stand" . I brined the chicken for 4 hours,  mixed up some minced garlic with Itallian dressing and brushed it on , along with drizzled EVOO. I preheated the Bradley for 20 min. put the bird on and waited.  2 hours of  maple smoke.  3 - 1/2 hours @ 210-230 degrees still only 140 deg. internal temperature.   I put the bird in the oven @ 400 deg for 1 hour and then it was done.  I also made garlic mashed potatoes , a green veggie and an apple crumble for dessert.  Chicken was wonderful .  Nice smoke flavor, not overpowering. Temp outside was about mid 30's.  sorry, no photos.  It was a big hit with the family.

KyNola