Hotel Bradley

Started by oakville smoker, January 10, 2010, 10:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

All of the ice that was on the roof of the smoker was actually on the outside that had dripped off the chimney. I don't doubt that there is a lot of moisture but there is no condensation on the walls or any part of the smoker or cabinet itself. I have mine under my gazebo to help keep me out of the snow and i notice the condensation dripping off the gazebo roof too. I think i might get a moisture meter and see what the inside of the cabinet is doing when the door is closed.

On a side note, Oakville that is the same chimney i used but i got the 5in version. Did you get the hole drilled directly above the vent? I have my chimney dropped down so it is only half an inch above the vent. That way almost everything goes straight up and it leaves enough room to adjust the vent.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

TTNuge

What about the idea of having a collar or something between the top of the smoker and the inside of the top of the cabinet?  That would basically extend the exhaust vent directly out to the outside world and not let any of that air and moisture into the cabinet itself.

I think dropping the vent down like you did was a good idea and with only a 1/2" of space I imagine you're doing essentially the same thing, I was just going to try and get that even closer and almost seal it off.  Some sort of foam or flexible collar attached to the bottom of your vent that would seal up against the top of your smoker would be along the lines of what I am thinking.  Then you just have to deal with the ability to adjust the vent on the smoker itself which I'm still trying to work out.

Northern_Smoke

That's the only reason i didn't drop mine down till it touched the smoker. I wasn't sure how i would adjust the vent. For right now i need to be able to adjust it with the cold weather we get. I close the vent right off while i am warming the unit up and even then it takes 45-60 minutes to reach 275. Then i open the door and put cold meat in and the thermal shock brings it back down to 200 for an hour. So i need to be able to adjust that vent or my food would never cook haha. I thought about putting a pipe straight out and then putting the damper on the end of the pipe.

Tiny Tim

Might heat up faster if you keep the vent open...the warmed air expands and needs somewhere to go.

Paddlinpaul

I have the same cabinet and was thinking of cutting a  6" X 6"square hole out of the top and hinging the square with a 4" round chimney in the trap door that will be created. The chimney will be set in to the height of the smoker with some kind of gasket to seal over the vent with pressure. Will probably use some sort of latch to hold down the trap door.As soon as the trap door is opened, the vent will be there to adjust. Follow?
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

oakville smoker

Northern

I measured 10 times and cut once   LOL   Nailed the measurement as there was no second chance.  The pipe part of the chimney is sitting about a half inch above the actual vent opening and seems to work well.  No issues with a draft or draw regardless if the doors are opened or closed.

10.5 / nepas
I am giving the fan idea some consideration.  I am also thinking that after a warm up, I might just leave the doors wedeged open to maiximize the air flow.  My other thought is cut an additional vent hole beside the soke generator to allow for additional air flow.  I dont want to wind up with so many holes and vents on thsi thing that they destroy the insulation value and  the cabinet no longer provides value.  At the same time I dont want to ruin my smoke generator.  Damn these Canadian winters !   But it was a great ski day yesterday.  LOL   

I did not see any condensation at all during last weekends smoke and like a little kid i was checking the temp every 30 minutes and feeling around everything.

I have a pork leg I am going to smoke on Saturday.  The temps should be just around 34 to 36 F here on Saturday.  I think this will be about a 10 or 12 hour cook / project.  I will be watching this baby like a hawk.

I welcome any and all ideas, comments, critiscim or whatever.  No percepetion of dissing any ideas here.  I really appreciate and value the feedback here.  If the whole world was like this board, the world would be a better place.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

anderson5420

it is interesting to see the heroic measures some of you folk take for the hobby!  Here on the Upper Left Coast, the temp seldom dips below 40 degrees F for very long. Of course on the other hand it seldom rises above 65 degrees for very long either!  And it rains a lot.  If it weren't for the moss, I wouldn't have anything green in my lawn.  Right now here in Fall City, I don't need a "Hotel Bradley" as my OBS sits on a butcher block in the garage with the Ranco mounted next to it on the wall.  When I move permanently to Birch Bay in 3 years 11 months and 17 days (but who is counting?  ;D), I will need a Hotel Bradley - but mainly for rain protection.
So many recipes, so little time!

Northern_Smoke

That's awsome that you got the chimney dead on. I got mine dead on as well. I do have a vent hole actually in my cabinet. I drilled a 1 1/2in hole through the side by the smoke generator to run my wires through. I drilled it over sized in case i need to take more wires out that side. So i know i have air coming in but a fan might be a good call if i do ever find moisture in it. I was actually thinking about getting a moisture meter to satisfy my curiosity now haha.

oakville smoker

OK   Here's the plan Stan

I am going to pull the DBS from Hotel Bradley this afternoon
I am going to find the largest diameter drill bit I have and drill a series fo holes through the cabinet, through the insulation  where the
intake is for the smoke generator

I am hoping that will stop the smoke gemerator from being starved for air and any other catstaophies that could happen
Seems easier than trying to install a fan.  I am good at destroying, not so good at designing   LOL
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

lumpy

Why not just install some type of air vent, maybe witha flapper that you can open only when smoking.

Instead of ruining Hotel Bradley with randomly drilled holes :(

Lump

Northern_Smoke

What about installing a dryer vent and just siliconing the fins open a bit? It would almost look like it was meant to be there.

oakville smoker

A dryer vent is a great idea and thanks much for the suggestion
I was going to try to drill the holes in some kind of pattern, only where the smoke generaqtor is
I will have to go search one out today
Stay tuned for upates

Smokey the Bear.

I just moved and am thinking about installing my smoker in a insulated box inside the shed. I was going to use a 4" dryer pipe to exit the smoke from the smoker. I was going to use a similar style cap for the top and have it exit the top of the shed but leave the pipe so I can push it up thru the hole for smoker removal.

I just need it for a few smokes such as superbowl, March Madness, NBA Championship..............and to keep myself in practise.
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh