shake, rattle and roll

Started by Scotty-G, November 04, 2007, 09:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

About 12 years ago I moved to the SF bay area (south bay) and have been lovin' it.
Since then I've been very fortunate but earlier this week I had a new type of adventure.
I experienced my first earthquake (epi-center was about 6 miles from my house @ 5.6 on the scale). :o
That was a different!!!!  Makes me reconsider how I have been storing my OBS when not in use.

The last few times that a larger quake hit, I was away on travel and missed it or it was soo small that it wasn't noticed except by the seasoned.

Duster

Man Scotty, Hold on, I hope everything is all right out there. Usually when the ground seems to be moving for me it's caused from to much Killian's.

Oldman

I think I will take hurricanes over those. At least there is a warning and you can run if needed.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

La Quinta

Was it a "shaker" or a "roller"? The shakers are really quite scary...the rollers are...kinda interesting. We were in a 5.6 shaker and my heart was racing...big jolt at the end was not fun WHAT-SO-EVER!

Scotty-G

Quote from: La Quinta on November 04, 2007, 06:14:42 PM
Was it a "shaker" or a "roller"?

It was a shaker for aobut 10 sec, rattled everything and then rolled for a few more seconds after that.  While it was only a few seconds, it seemed to last a LOT longer...

begolf25

I couldn't imagine going through one of those. I bet time seems to stand still like you said.

NePaSmoKer

Ahhhhh

I miss them quakes

I still remember the Sylmar quake when i was a kid and the ones in 91/92 in the valley  :o

nepas

Consiglieri

We felt it out here too.  Apparently it was on the Calavares fault line,so it rocked pretty good.

Fun part was, we had dinner guests from outside the country.  They seemed a bit out of sorts, but we calmed them down.  They did a pretty good job on the wine. 

Glad nothing was in the smoker; the water bowl and grease could have been splashed all over the interior and smoke generator. 
Consiglieri

Gizmo

That's when you need to toss the vodka or gin and the vermouth into the Boston Shaker.
James Bond style "Shaken not Stirred".  But really, shouldn't the "Boston Shaker" be called the "California Shaker"?  I guess only if it has a built in shaker table.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

I remember back in the late 60's or early 70's just up the Grape Vine / Bakersfield area it rocked the road so bad it tossed our van off the road and pitched my brother out the door then bounced the van tire on his foot and broke it. Crazy.
We get so many tremblers up here in Alaska you just loose count and go about your normal way. Snapped a bunch of trees off at the ground in the back lot a couple of years ago. You could hear it coming then actually see the wave of trees coming at you then BAM! Poor ole Winston hit the ground spread eagle just howling to beat all get out. He still growls when we get shakers. :D

Gizmo

Sounds like Winston is an early warning predictor.  Good one to have Ice.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/