How do you know if your element died??

Started by kbranden, January 29, 2011, 11:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbranden

I've been trying to preheat mine for almost 2 hours now using both the oven and the smoker.. It's still only at 167.. all the digitals are working, the little flame image is working.. is there anything from the digital interface that shows you if the element is working or not?  This is only my second time to smoke but the first time I did it (a week ago), it went pretty fast.. like 30min.

micman

try and unplug your power cord from the back of the smoker box and directly into the tower and just check to see if the element is glowing. 167 is pretty high mine never got above 100 when my element went, do you have a remote thermometer to check the real temp.

mic

kbranden

Yeah, something was wrong. I wiggled the cords in the back and it climbed from 167 - 205 in 5 minutes!!  I also do have an en extra therm dropped down in the vent and it was showing the same as the unit's therm. Not sure what is going on, but that is going to put dinner how around 8pm..haha

TestRocket

It's simple but is the element glowing red or hot?

TestRocket

kbranden

ill check it when I open the smoker to put the meat it. I am guessing that it is now since it is rising very quickly now (already to 220!).  I just didn't want to check it earlier because when it was stuck at 167 and I opened it, it would drop to 140..

kbranden

Hmm.. i'm not sure what is going on. I have the oven temp at 270 and was wanting to wait till it got to 250 before putting the meat in. The temp started stalled at 225 and started dropping again slowely. I went ahead and opened it and put the meat in and checked the element. It was not glowing red and didn't appear to be on now.

classicrockgriller

Waht did you have the digital set to.

Default is 280*. Did you set it higher than that?

wiggle the wire again. ;D

Hope you did blow the thermo fuse.