Short time reader, first time poster

Started by BIGRAM, June 19, 2014, 04:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGRAM

[img][img]   Where there is an enthusiast, there is a forum; this one I am very thankful for. I had been eye-balling a Bradley for a couple years and finally got me a four rack.
   I got it Rollin' as I type for the third time loaded with a Boston butt. First round was two butts that I pulled early; they where done but not fall apart done, approx 14 hrs. So this time I am at 16 1/2 hrs and getting ready to go check shortly.
    So far I have had no issues with smoker operation. Everything is working fine and the bisquettes are burning completely. You do have me worried about temperature as right now I only have the Bradley meat thermo. But I do have a Maverick on the way!!
     I can already see that I will gain a lot of knowledge learning from you veterans and it is well appreciated.

tailfeathers

Welcome to the forums from South Dakota. The best way to check to see if your butts are ready to come off the smoker is to insert a fork and twist. If it turns easily, off they come. If it resists, keep cookin! The fork test never lies! I've had butts pass at 180 and others were close to 200. I like to FTC for a couple hours before I shred my pulled pork as well. Wrap meat in a couple layers of foil, then an old towel, then into the smallest available cooler that will hold it. Add a couple layers of newspaper before closing the cooler. You can easily hold a large butt or a brisket for 4 hours using this method and it will still be to hot to handle with bare hands when you unwrap it. Welcome aboard and oh by the way, we like pictures!!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

BIGRAM

Yeah, I got the pics but did not have time to load, especially from the phone.  17 hrs and the form turned with ease; I was at work so I didn't get to baby it. IT was 190 competed to the last which was 175+/-. I did get it wrapped in foil and a towel but now you add in the cooler and newspaper? I'll cover that next round. Getting ready to try it out after 4 hrs of rest.

Thanks for the welcome. By the way, I'm in the Bluegrass/ Bourbon state! BBN,,,,

tailfeathers

Big ram-
If you are using a smartphone download the free Tapatalk app. Makes posting pics a snap! No photobucket, etc you just attach them directly out of your pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

beefmann

welcome aboard and congrats on your 4 rack and good beginning  experiences hope to hear  more along with some  pics, there are a  lot of good folks  here  with a ton of good information,,, if you  have questions .. ask and you  will get  responses on others experiences.

Saber 4

BIGRAM

Thanks to all the welcomes fellas. The Butt turned out awesome this time; the bark was amazing like candy! Next step is to create my own sauce to add to the pulled pork experience. Loving it so far.

BIGRAM

BIGRAM

Tapatalk test.

pensrock

Looks like someone loves Jim Beam! :)
Welcome from PA. the butt looks good and the fork twist is a great way to insure its ready to pull.

BIGRAM

Employee perks!