Iowa Cheese

Started by NePaSmoKer, November 14, 2010, 11:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

My new family member 10.5  ;D took me to this place where i was in AWE  :D

Got some cheese and some curds to smoke. Using my AmazeNsmoker with apple wood.

Tenpoint5

That the place with the little deer? or the one you tried to buy all of their casings? oh wait it was the same place
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

Geee for a minute I thought you were going to smoke those in the wrapper the way youhad them all layed out on the racks.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Up In Smoke

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on November 14, 2010, 11:13:27 AM
My new family member 10.5  ;D took me to this place where i was in AWE  :D

Got some cheese and some curds to smoke. Using my AmazeNsmoker with apple wood.

Nepas,
is that the heating element i see glowing in the chamber?
what is the temp there?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

NePaSmoKer

Thats the flash hitting the element heat shield. No electric going here.

I take a pic of the cheese on the rack so i know what it is after smoking. To much smoke in my gray matter  :D

Quarlow

Oh, hey that is a good idea.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

I have noticed several of you with cheese curds.  I had never seen them before until this forum.  Could someone enlighten me as to what they are exactly?  I know that in cheese making along with other items there is a separation of curds and whey.  Is that where they come from and how does the taste compare to the "finished" cheese product?

Thanks for the info.

KyNola

FLBentRider

Quote from: KyNola on November 15, 2010, 07:13:20 AM
I have noticed several of you with cheese curds.  I had never seen them before until this forum.  Could someone enlighten me as to what they are exactly?  I know that in cheese making along with other items there is a separation of curds and whey.  Is that where they come from and how does the taste compare to the "finished" cheese product?

I bought some when I was in Canada this summer. They were good - a little on the salty side, the Mrs. did not care for them.

It is my understanding that curds are the cheese before the "cheddaring" (compressing) process makes it into a block.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

So I was somewhat on the right track?  Thanks FLBR!

Another one of those regional food items!  You ask for cheese curds around here and someone is going to hand you a container of cottage cheese. :D

FLBentRider

Quote from: KyNola on November 15, 2010, 07:38:32 AM
So I was somewhat on the right track?  Thanks FLBR!

Another one of those regional food items!  You ask for cheese curds around here and someone is going to hand you a container of cottage cheese. :D

I can't find them anywhere near me. They are popular in areas where cheese is made. (not Florida)

I would think in Wisconsin they would be as plentiful as moonshine in Kentucky.  ::) ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

We can get them here, but they are $$.   'Squeaky Cheese Curds'

SoCalBuilder

Just a quickie - is the AmazeNsmoker a good alternative for cold smoking? I don't anticipate doing it much, although I never thought I would be smoking anything every weekend either :o

I'm always a little leary of the sales pitch and through this site, have come to put more credence on those that have the experience.

Thanks ;D

KyNola

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 15, 2010, 07:48:01 AM
Quote from: KyNola on November 15, 2010, 07:38:32 AM
I would think in Wisconsin they would be as plentiful as moonshine in Kentucky.  ::) ;D

We do have our fair share of a little "home remedy". ;D  One of my acquaintances cuts his "shine" with the original green Gatorade when he drinks it.  Goes down pretty darn well but WOW does it contain a punch.

Toker

Where i live here in Quebec, the cheese curd is among the most popular type of cheese. Last year, I've tried smoking some. The worst experience of my young smoking career.  :D Cause what generally feature this type of cheese is the high content of moisture and when you smoke it, the moisture dry to much. This cheese is mostly use in our regional dish called POUTINE. Basically it is french fries with this cheese covered by BBQ sauce.

KyNola

Thanks for the info Toker!