Sudbury smokin'

Started by richardvoyageur, June 05, 2011, 06:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardvoyageur

Hello everyone, wifey got me an OSB for my birthday (nice gift eh?) and I used it this weekend with wonderful results.  Just did a nice set of baby back ribs and got a bunch of useful info from this site that I attribute to my stellar first-timer results!

I did an overnight dry rub + plastic wrap and of course the 3-1-1 method with hickory.  I tried making my own bbq sauce from a recipe which called for chilli sauce and a clove or two of garlic.  I thought "maybe I can use this chilli garlic sauce I have here".  Big mistake, it tasted like crap and I threw it out immediately and just went with a Bullseye BBQ sauce.  Even with the generic sauce the ribs were killer.  I'm thinking I need a good sauce, whether bought or homemade, any suggestions? 

Thanks so much for the great site here guys, I'm going to really start reading up.

PS:  Next week's project is a "smoke party".  We are going to be doing a shoulder (butt or picnic?) along with ribs (side or back?) and possibly even some wings.  Can anyone give me a timeline for how long you think this will take?  I've been reading 16-18 hours for a shoulder, is this correct?  I'm thinking maybe a 10lbs cut with probably 4 racks of ribs should do the trick. 
Sell the sizzle and the steak

muebe

Sounds like a good first smoke and welcome to the forum ;D

And remember we like pics ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

richardvoyageur

Can you believe that in my madness for these ribs I didn't even take a picture?  They were perfect looking and left nice teeth marks in the meat when you bit in, but pulled off with little effort.

Pictures next weekend guys, I promise.

beefmann

welcome aboard and  congrats on the ribs... you  have a great  wife... we like pics

richardvoyageur

I read your thread in regards to upgrading to a 900 watt element and adding the fan.  I would do that if I weren't so scared to break my new OBS.

And I guess the PID should be my first purchase before the element upgrade, correct?  Which one would you guys recommend?

muebe

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=151

If you get one make sure to get the hanging temp probe not the mounted one ;D
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

richardvoyageur

I kinda looked at both and was thinking that the mounted was better.  Why is the hanging one better?

muebe

Quote from: richardvoyageur on June 06, 2011, 08:04:13 AM
I kinda looked at both and was thinking that the mounted was better.  Why is the hanging one better?

It is best to take the cabinet temp below the lowest rack meat. You cannot do that with the mounted one. Also the back of the cabinet tends to be the hottest due to the element is located at the back. The dangler can be placed more in the center of the rack giving you a more accurate temp reading of the cabinet.

richardvoyageur

Quote from: muebe on June 06, 2011, 08:13:37 AM
Quote from: richardvoyageur on June 06, 2011, 08:04:13 AM

It is best to take the cabinet temp below the lowest rack meat. You cannot do that with the mounted one. Also the back of the cabinet tends to be the hottest due to the element is located at the back. The dangler can be placed more in the center of the rack giving you a more accurate temp reading of the cabinet.

Excellent, thanks for that.  Any ideas where to get the bisquettes for as cheap as possible in Canada?  I went to that pool and garden website (i think tha'ts the name) and they don't ship up here.  The bisquettes seem to be pretty expensive.  I already purchased the fake bubba pucks from that place that sells the PIDs so i'm setup on that front.

muebe

OU812

Jim Beam is basically Oak.

Habanero Smoker

Canadian tire is also a place where you can purchase the Bisquettes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MidKnightRider

Welcome to the forums.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist