What is a pork sirloin?

Started by dscarry, March 01, 2008, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dscarry

I sent my wife to go get the meat for pulled pork and she came back with a butt and a sirloin.

What is the sirloin?

I'm going to throw it in the smoker any way. Any advice as the best way to prepare it would be helpful.

Gizmo

I believe the sirloin is the same as what is known as a pork tenderloin, a long log type cut of meat.  They are very versitle in what you can do with them.  OWRSTRICH would like to cut them in slices, pound them out into a giant 14 inch round piece, bread, deep fry, and stuff it into a 3 inch round bun for sandwich.  You can cut them into slices for boneless pork chops, slice them lengthwise (about 3/4 of the way through so the two halves are still connected, then stuff the middle with all kinds of goodies.  They are great smoked as is with some seasonings on the outside or my favorite is to cure them for canadian bacon. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I believe pork sirloin is the muscle form the loin that is closest to the ham or leg of the pig. It is also called pork loin end roast or loin pork roast in my area.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

Here are some good pictures of where the various cuts come from.  Just scroll down to the pig.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

Habs is right on.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

dscarry

Just as a note to let everyone know how this turned out (sorry no pics)

I cooked the sirloin just like the butt, and my wife (and I) liked it better than the pulled pork.

It didn't fall apart - I used an electric knife to slice/shave it and it was great. I'd recommend it to anyone.

brotheryyy

little late but...here is a sirloin i prepared canadian bacon style.

Smoking Duck

Sweet Corn Niblets, Brotheryyy, that sure does look delicious!

And DS, you need to keep hold of that wife tight.  Any wife that gets sent to the market for one thing to smoke and she brings home two is a keeper in my book! ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

I better get this smoker fixed soon...That looks incredible!!!! And the weekend is around the corner!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!