Sunday Ribs Pictorial

Started by SnellySmokesEm, February 01, 2010, 11:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

So I am new the the forum and decided to put my weeks worth of reading to the test...  This is not the first time I have smoked ribs by far but I wanted to use some techniques that I found on the forum and do a pictorial.   I am using 3 racks of spareribs St. Louis Style.  First I rubbed the pork with some of Batman of BBQ's rub (which he so graciously gave me since I am now a member of the forum) and wrapped in plastic to refridgerate overnite.

Time for some smoke!

I have decided to smoke at 225 for 3 hours using apple chips starting at 10:30.  My wife likes here smoke to be mild and her mother in law is in town so I dont want to use my favorite, hickory.  After 3 hours I foiled the ribs with some applejuice.  Then I put the ribs back in the ES for another 2 hours.  Once they cooked in the foil for two hours I pulled them out and then sauced 'em

Once the ribs were sauced its back to the smoker for another hour...

which turned to two....

Finally at 6:00 they were ready!!!!

The ribs turned out great!  Not oversmoked and perfectly tender! 

Thanks 10point for the pictorial!  It helped a lot!
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0

So what do you think????  ;D

-Snelly
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Pachanga

Looks like a winner to me.

Nice looking ribs.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

seemore

They look great, Snelly! 
Mrs

lumpy

Very nice loking ribs.
Thanks for the pictures and how fast did it take for these to disappear?

Lumpy

dbondy

Great looking eats there, keep it up. ;D

OU812

Those are some mighty good lookin ribs, great job Snelly.

Batman of BBQ

Those look great Snells! How did you like the Gates and Sons BBQ sauce?
Don't want to be the best in the world, just the best in my neighborhood.

1 OBS, Nuff Said

ArnieM

Good lookin' ribs snelly!  Looks like they're perfectly done.  How'd your wife and the mother-in-law like 'em?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SnellySmokesEm

Thanks everyone! I used Sweet Baby Rays on one slab and Gates and Sons on the other.  I preferred the Gates and Sons.  It had a nice spicy flavor.  I am a little hesitant to admit that I used SBR but it is a nice sweet BBQ sauce that my wife likes and and the mother in law is very picky.  I would love any ideas on a sweet traditional sauce...  FYI  Until I came into the picture my wife was buying Kraft BBQ :o 

I actually prefer Tom BBQ sauce for my ribs but since I was doing two rack there was an extra to experiment with.

Batman I really liked the Gates on your brined butt...
BBQ Evangelist

OU812

KC Masterpiece is a hit, not too spicy and a little on the sweet side.

oakville smoker

Winner,winner, side rib dinner
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

JTSX1

I used the same method last weekend for my first set of ribs on the OBS and had decent luck;  nice smokey flavor, pretty tender, but a bit dry.  They actually seemed ready to eat (the meat pulled back prior to foil step) right after the foil step, so next time I will only put them back on for 20 min or so (after foil) in hopes to prevent drying.  I might also skip the sauce step and just put it on before eating. 

Anyways, your ribs looked good!

FLBentRider

Quote from: JTSX1 on February 10, 2010, 05:55:04 PM
I used the same method last weekend for my first set of ribs on the OBS and had decent luck;  nice smokey flavor, pretty tender, but a bit dry.  They actually seemed ready to eat (the meat pulled back prior to foil step) right after the foil step, so next time I will only put them back on for 20 min or so (after foil) in hopes to prevent drying.  I might also skip the sauce step and just put it on before eating. 

The last time I did them, they went long in the foil, I just sauced and put them under the broiler for a few minutes and eat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

I'm sorry I missed this one Ribs look great Snelly!! Now you have the pictorial to show everyone how to make your ribs.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SnellySmokesEm

Quote from: JTSX1 on February 10, 2010, 05:55:04 PM

I believe the foil does slow down the meat from pulling back thats why I left them in for an extra hour.  As for not saucing until you are ready to eat:  I feel that all sauce need some cook time to thickin up and glaze the meat.  Try mopping your ribs or spritzing with apple juice and oil to keep the ribs moist and protect the meat of the ribs. 

There are a lot of guys on here with a lot more experience than I have that may have more input.  I'm still experimenting and researching to make my smoke better and better.  Good luck and keep smoking, you'll get it!
BBQ Evangelist