DBS Purchase question

Started by BC Smokin', September 03, 2009, 12:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Smokin'

I am deciding between the DBS 4rack and the OBS. Can anyone tell me the differences please? There seems to be some problems with the automatic feed system for the DBS, is this common? Thanks all,
BC Smokin'
You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the girl

FLBentRider

The main difference is that the DBS has a digital temperature control, the OBS has an analog slide switch.

The temp regulation on the DBS is not as precise as you would obtain with PID controller, which is an add-on that some of us use for ramping temps and maintaining temps for sausage and fish.

If you are considering a PID, then I would get the OBS.

A PID is by no means required to produce great food in a Bradley smoker, it just makes it a little easier.

I have and OBS/PID
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

FLB has it spot on. The only thing I would add is that the auto feed should be the same on both, just that the DBS is controlled by a digital timer. Mine is a DBS with no problems so far.
HawkeyeSmokes

mikecorn.1

I have a dbs and never had a problem with it.
Mike

mikeradio

Does the DBS control the smoke generator?  With my OBS after I finish smoking I turn the smoke generator off and let my PID control the cabnet heater. I believe with the DBS you can control the smoke generator.

Mike

mikecorn.1

Quote from: mikeradio on September 03, 2009, 04:45:16 PM
Does the DBS control the smoke generator?  With my OBS after I finish smoking I turn the smoke generator off and let my PID control the cabnet heater. I believe with the DBS you can control the smoke generator.

Mike
the smoke generator on the digital controls the timer in increments of 20 minutes. it will turn off after the time you set has run out. i like to leave mine on to add additional heat to the tower.
Mike

Hopefull Romantic

I have the DBS 6 and just ordered the PID. PID would give you better control on your tower temperature and as FLB said, would give you the advantage of automatic temp ramping which is great for smoking fish and sausage.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

D, welcome to the forum. you have a DB 9? sure would like to see a picture of that. You might could use some lites off a trailer.

monty

Quote from: D.Bluri on October 08, 2009, 11:11:08 AM
I really like the look of the DBS rear tail lights.  Is there anyway to change the tail lights on the DB 9 to look like the DBS?  AM wont sell the OE pieces.  Are there any aftermarket suppliers that produce DBS look rear tail lights for the DB 9?

haha wow i can't tell if this post is a joke, or just someone who is lost and on the COMPLETELY wrong forum!

DBS = Digital Bradley Smoker

not an Aston Martin DBS!

-monty (a proud Jaguar owner)
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

classicrockgriller

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 08, 2009, 12:22:46 PM
That might be PP or BS

That was my first thought to CRG. But he registered back on Sept 5th so I don't think so.
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 08, 2009, 12:27:36 PM
That might be PP or BS

That was my first thought to CRG. But he registered back on Sept 5th so I don't think so.

Interesting...   Look at his ICQ # via search.icq.com:

http://search.icq.com/search/results.php?q=255878435&ch_id=hr&search_mode=

Mr 'D' has many last names.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 08, 2009, 12:32:02 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 08, 2009, 12:27:36 PM
That might be PP or BS

Interesting...   Look at his ICQ # via search.icq.com:

http://search.icq.com/search/results.php?q=255878435&ch_id=hr&search_mode=

Mr 'D' has many last names.

Looking at that search, Mr D has been busy just registering!!  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

rcger

Quote from: BC Smokin' on September 03, 2009, 12:25:42 PM
I am deciding between the DBS 4rack and the OBS. Can anyone tell me the differences please? There seems to be some problems with the automatic feed system for the DBS, is this common? Thanks all,

I've had my 6-rack DBS for over 1 1/2 years.  I've never regretted the purchase.  It's great.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.