Pork is now done at

Started by Tenpoint5, May 24, 2011, 06:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Just saw it on the news that the Feds have finally realized that Pork is done at 145º just like Beef and Lamb. No more dried out pork chops when you eat out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

I've been calling pork done at 145 F for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears.

Pull of the heat at 140 F let rest and the IT will rise to 145 F DONE.

Tenpoint5

I wonder how this will effect all of our sausage recipes? Are the sausages done at 145° or 152° now?

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

My thinking is whole muscle 145 F ground 152 F

Tenpoint5

I think I will have to agree on that one just to kill off any nasties that may have joined the party during the grinding/mixing/stuffing process.

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 24, 2011, 08:48:01 AM
I think I will have to agree on that one just to kill off any nasties that may have joined the party during the grinding/mixing/stuffing process.

Thats my thinkin.

viper125

No ground meat 160 and poultry 165
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

iceman

Quote from: OU812 on May 24, 2011, 08:56:21 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 24, 2011, 08:48:01 AM

Thats my thinkin.

I'm just say'n................................... I'm thinking yer on the right track. Just to be even safer I be a washing the chops down with large quantities of rum and cola  ;D  ;D  ;D
I'll go back to my corner now and drink at a distance.  :D  ;)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: OU812 on May 24, 2011, 07:37:49 AM
I've been calling pork done at 145 F for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears.

Pull of the heat at 140 F let rest and the IT will rise to 145 F DONE.

Same here, but I shoot for a 142°F finish temperature after the carryover.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Sounds good to me. I'm one of the stupid ones that like to chew on a piece of raw bacon or uncooked ham. Kentucky habits. Use to sneak into grandpas smoke house( The old style about 15 x 15 out building) Always salted or smoking meat. No refrigeration back then. Havn't seen anything even close to it since.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.