Plug-In Challenge 2 of 3 times

Started by SgtSchultz, April 06, 2014, 06:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SgtSchultz

I bought a new Bradley 6-shelf smoker (make it hurt once)...and no doubt it produces some excellent quality smoked foods!  My concern is, I only used it three times so far, the first and third time of use,...I wasted the first hour as the heating element never turned on.  The control panel is all lit up, the timer is counting down, the flame indicator is lit up, the smoke is pouring, but the temperature inside never rose.  Two times out of three uses, I had to disconnect and re-connect the power cords, although you can be sure I triple checked this many times after the first challenge...what gives?

Is the electrical connection a problem for others?  Is this piece made by the low bidder?

FYI - I do remove the heating element and store it inside (winter in MO is cold), but the protective cover does not go over the heating element either, so it should be easy to plug and smoke.  Any helpful comments or other experiences in this area would be appreciated!

Thanks!
SgtSchultz

KyNola

I'm sorry you're having issues.  First thing, there is no reason to remove the heating element after each use and store inside.  I live in KY where the winters are just as cold and my 6 year old element has been outside the entire time.  Now, let's see if we can fix your issue as that would be a real pain in the butt and I don't mean pork butt.  Are you unplugging the power jumper cord between each use in addition to removing the element?  If so I suspect your jumper power cord is not seating properly.  Both ends require a very firm pressure.  If you think it is properly seated, let's look elsewhere.  You may have loose connections in the smoke generator box.  Remove the smoke generator from the tower and turn it upside down.  You will see 8 screws around the perimeter of the bottom.  Remove them.  You will also see screws in the center.  Do NOT remove them.  Your smoke generator will now open clamshell style.(No, this will not void your warranty).  Check all of the connections in there and see if you have any loose ones.  I would disconnect and reconnect all of them so you can be certain they are firmly connected.  While you're in there look for anything else that looks suspicious.  Put it all back together, reattach the smoke generator to the tower, firmly reseat the power jumper cord and the thin sensor cord. Fire it up and see if the heating element begins to glow red.

Hope this helps you solve your problem and seriously, I wouldn't remove the heating element each time.

Saber 4

KyNola has got you going in the right direction on trouble shooting, when I first got mine I thought I had mine plugged in solidly but when I was told to double check them I found a couple of the plugs pushed in another 1/4" before they were fully seated.

Larry, I think he is calling the Smoke Generator the "heating element", at least that's my read from where he talks about the cover not going over it. So I think you hit the nail on the head with it being a plug issue or internal wiring being loose.

hutcho

Don't have anything useful to add but welcome to the group! What part of MO are you in?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

SgtSchultz

Thanks guys!

Indeed I misspoke when I said I take the heating element inside..no I leave that as is.  I only take the smoke generator box inside, since the cover won't fit over it.  I suppose I could the smoke generator and controls inside the smoker, but in either case, I do have to disconnect the Power cord from the back of the smoker, and reconnect when I use it again. 

Seems I need to pay extra special attention that the plug in is secure when I do that...but I don't understand why the heating element does not indicate there is a good connection or not, or why when I press in firmly, I still have only a 1 for 3 batting average.   I will go ahead and open the smoker element on the bottom to double check any connections that might be lose.

Much appreciated!

SgtSchultz

There I go calling the smoke generator a heating element again.....sheesh, sorry about this lango problem I'm having..

What I meant to say is, don't understand why the smoke generator box does not indicate a connection or not to the Heating Element.  It (the smoke generator box) seems to indicate the smoker element will work, but is there an indicator on the smoke generator box that the heating element is working?

FYI...from St. Charles, MO.

KyNola

Sadly there is no indicator on the screen to indicate the heating element in the tower is working.

Did your protective cover come from Bradley?  My cover which I got from Bradley fits over both the tower and smoke generator just fine.  Mine has an adjustable cord on the open end of the cover that allows the cover to open fully enough to cover both the tower and smoke generator then cinch it up to snug it around the entire unit.  That said, mine is 6 years old so they may have changed the design.

renoman

Quote from: KyNola on April 06, 2014, 11:08:36 AM
Sadly there is no indicator on the screen to indicate the heating element in the tower is working.

Did your protective cover come from Bradley?  My cover which I got from Bradley fits over both the tower and smoke generator just fine.  Mine has an adjustable cord on the open end of the cover that allows the cover to open fully enough to cover both the tower and smoke generator then cinch it up to snug it around the entire unit.  That said, mine is 6 years old so they may have changed the design.

My cover is new and is just like yours.

TedEbear

Quote from: SgtSchultz on April 06, 2014, 10:02:31 AM
FYI...from St. Charles, MO.

I work in St. Charles off N. Hwy 94.  Welcome aboard.

SgtSchultz

Hey TedEBear, you must work in Bldg 598?  I'm up the hill from where you work less than one mile away.

Back to initial message, many thanks to KyNola...I can only say duhh, my Bradley cover has a draw string on the bottom as well.  I believe it's time to plug my connections securely, then leave them alone, leave the Smoke Generator attached, cover it, and even leave it all outside even in our cold winters.

They said don't be afraid to ask any questions, although I may be a bit red-faced now, I do appreciate your help.  Next question will be a bit more related to smoking.

Thank you!

TedEbear

Quote from: SgtSchultz on April 10, 2014, 06:31:46 PM
Hey TedEBear, you must work in Bldg 598?  I'm up the hill from where you work less than one mile away.

You hit the bullseye.  Sometime when the wind is blowing west to east fire up your Bradley so I can smell the smoke.   :)